quattro system

Snail

I have owned a S1 for three weeks and have noticed when crawling and taking your foot off the gas and back on again I get noise like backlash in the drive system.

Also at times if i have accelerated hard and then later come to a stop and revers into my drive with RH down I get clunk like there is a resistance.

Has anybody come across this before

Concerned Brian 

Welcome to the forum Brian :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

iv also moved this topic to the Audi a1 section to make it clearer for other members :) 

whats the mileage of your s1 and when was the Quattro system last serviced? 

Also the Quattro system can be sensitive and prone to wear if the tyres are of uneven tread and pressures. What condition are your tyres? 

Cheers

steve 

Hi Steve

It has only done 14786 ml and bought from a Main dealer and would of had there multi point check it does have new tires.

I have been told by the dealership the backlash is normal but it does not seem right to me. 

Noise when reversing I cannot replicate when I take it in it is a real clunk like something is miss aligned 

The car handling is fine does not pull left or right when let go of the wheel.

Well it should be good as it's low mileage and bought from a main dealer! 🤔

Im not sure about the backlash to be honest as iv not had much experience with the Quattro system. Sorry. 

With regard to the car resisting reverse this could either be the gear synchromesh not connecting properly or the gear linkages. 

My mum had a similar issue with her merc at 7k miles and they had to replace the synchromesh due to a design fault. 

In our case we kept pestering Mercedes to look at it and in the end they found the fault. If I were you I'd do the same with Audi. 

Hope iv helped :) 

cheers

steve 

Morning Steve 

I agree with you about the "clunk"  - the backlash, is it related who knows?

My son-in-law has an A3 and my mate has a TT with  Quattro.  I believe it is the same system as mine.  I will have to have a listen to theirs.

Many thanks 

Brian

• 1 month later...

Hi All update

The car has now been with Audi a fourth time for this clunk when reversing.

Two different Audi dealers have look at it only because there is a dealer closer to me than where I purchase it .

Both dealers have not been able to replicate the noise not for the want of trying. On return home on two of the occasions while reversing it happened again unbelievable.

Lucky enough on one of those occasions I recorded the noise on my phone as suggested by one of the mechanics.

Audi Hereford has it at the moment trying to compare it with the S1 they have, it has been there a week so far and are about to try some different brake parts. (not convinced they are on the right track my opinion is transmission) 

Can not fault either dealer on there support and help  but would be nice to resolve this

Sorry to hear the dealers are struggling to resolve this but in my opinion this still sounds like either the gear synchromesh or a gear linkage to me. I know iv mentioned my mums merc in a previous comment on this topic which was having similar issues.

Your doing the right thing by keeping on the case with this. Hopefully it will get resolved soon! 

Two things to ask them to look for here (from my own limited experience on an issue like this) is play between gear box stub shaft to drive shaft, I suggest this issue because you hear it both going forwards and in reverse. I have heard of the wrong shaft being fitted and the splines being the incorrect fit, hence play and then a knock.

The other is strut top mount on either side on front. You can feel this if someone steers from full lock to lock if holding the front spring, there will be a small judder at full lock.

maybe one other issue could be a loose engine or gear box mount perhaps?

• Like 1

Hi Dan 

The noise is only in reverse and hard RH down it happens when the motor is hot or cold after long or short a run.

It does seem as though there is something that gets miss aligned when doing this maneuver I have even felt restraint of movement all but brief.

They have suggested this is just idiosyncrasy of the car if so it is not Vorsprung Durch Technik This German phrase translated into English as 'progress through technology.

I love this car and its performance but am increasing getting worried where this is going to leave me when the warranty runs out and something goes bang.

Appologies, I thought you had commented that it occurred when crawling sometimes, I just assumed you were referring to queuing in traffic.

if it is making a noise then something is moving somehow to make the noise, whether this is part of the drive train or a suspension part or linkage. I would assume this will either stay the same or simply get worse. Let's hope if it is the latter you can get this done under warranty.

But, the fact that nobody else has reported this on a forum (which lets face it is the most common reason someone looks and then joins a forum, an issue with their car!) makes me think it's not a common problem/feature of you model of the Audi you own. Therefore, I would be inclined to not let Audi walk away from this just yet.

Hi Dan

I did comment about the back lash on the quattro system when edging forward it sounded like it was taking up the slack in the transmission..

When it was in on the ramp with all four wheels free at one of the dealers they let me have look underneath when I rotated  the front wheel it took a good 10 cm of movement before the the rear wheel moved.

When commenting about this saying it seems excessive I was told this was OK and required for expansion of the four wheel drive system. Is this related ? I have worked machinery for last 18 year before I retired and know when some is not right and feels wrong.

Before the Audi

I owned Octavia VRS  and wife a Fiat 500 so keeping two cars and Astra van on the road was to expensive when I retired

So we compromised with the Audi it was small enough for the wife to drive and gave me the performance I wanted.  I hope the tradings of the Skoda and Fiat  do not come back and haunt me

There's are several updates to how the halves responds to when it needs to engage, your car is 2015 so must have the forth gen at least version. It should be engagaing very quickly to what I can work out. I read a couple of articles on it and how it's supposed to work, the delay u comment on does not seem right. However, I am not sure that a delay in it working can actually cause any damage.

not sure if that helps or not!?! 

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/haldex/