Audi a3 sport suspension downgraded free to dynamic suspension

cool

I just ordered a new audi a3 Sportback s-line. Based on what car and carwow reviews (and a few others such as Honest John) , I asked them to downgrade sports suspension to dynamic suspension (as on SE models). This is because 60% of my driving is on local B roads and A  mostly. I still have time to change my mind to revert back to standard sports suspension. Any advice/experience you have had on sports and SE suspension, deeply appreciated.

Hello Dayan,

I'm sure I am not experienced enough to answer your questions, but perhaps some of the following may be useful to know while others far more experienced than me offer you meaningful advice. 

What I would ask is, are you an "enthusiastic" driver and welcome road holding over comfort, or is the S Line of more interest to you than the SE due to the S Lines looks etc? I think thereby lies the answer to your question, and of course, you have to be the judge of this. Compromises are always necessary, but I really think it does boil down to which of the two is more important to you. I'm sure others will assist you much more than I once they know your preference. 

On a personal note, I have a non-Audi sport variant (bought used) but I bought it due to its condition and equipment, and in preference, I would have preferred the non-Sport model if I could have found an equally nice one. My preference is for ride comfort rather than throwing it around corners, but in my case availability decided the choice.

I think you are very wise to seek good advice before committing. 

Good luck, 

Gareth.

• Like 1

Thank you, Magnet.

I went for the s-line trim for 2 reasons: (1) I wanted to have the technology pack which the new SE model cannot have as an option, (2) Yes, I liked the looks of the s-line better with features such as LED headlights and other features that come with it. 

For me, ride comfort is more important than 'throwing it round corners'. So, perhaps I made the right compromise by going for the s-line but with downgraded suspension??? -  I did not get the opportunity to test drive both versions unfortunately.

Hope there are advanced members here who have experienced both. BTW, this is my first ever Audi!

Thank you again, Magnet.

Welcome to the forum Dayan :) 

hope your excited to get your new Audi! :) 

you made the right spec choice in my opinion :) the s line spec is far better then the se spec. 

In terms of the suspension the se suspension will Deffo give you comfort (my dad had a 2013 a3 company car se spec) the s line suspension is lower and as such gives a firmer ride which I experienced whilst working at a car supermarket.

The ride is also partly determined by the wheel and tyre combination. So obviously the bigger the wheels/lower profile tyres the harder the ride will be. The se wheels are a smaller diameter compared to the s line wheels. 

If you prefer comfort over than sportiness then you've probs made the right decision on suspension :) 

hope iv helped 

cheers

steve

• Like 1

Thank you so much, Steve. The wheels are 18 inch on the s-line, but I am not going to compromise too much as they look really good on the a3. At lest suspension being 15mm higher with SE suspension (dynamic suspension) hopefully make the ride good.

16 minutes ago, cool said:

Thank you so much, Steve. The wheels are 18 inch on the s-line, but I am not going to compromise too much as they look really good on the a3. At lest suspension being 15mm higher with SE suspension (dynamic suspension) hopefully make the ride good.

Your most welcome Dayan :) 

I couldn't agree more! 

You have a good compromise and like you I'd keep the 18" wheels as they look great on the car :) 

I think the se wheels are either 16 or 17" but not sure exactly to be honest. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I collected a 2011 A3 S Line Cab last week and I too read the comments about hard suspension when I was looking. I like drivers' cars but don't rag them in the way I used to. Have to say I was very pleasantly surprised at how comfy the car is and I would suggest the ride is not as hard as you might think. I have been in a friends A4 and the seats were really firm and the ride less comfy the the S line. The S line seats in the A3 are really comfortable. What has impressed me most so far is how smooth and sure footed the car is. There is very little roll and those 18 inch wheels soak up speed bumps and pot holes. It rides better over poor roads (which we have miles of in Surrey) way better than a Jazz (16in 70R) and a Smart (my previous commuter car) which is brutal on rough roads. The suspension does a good job too. Simple lane changes are positive and confident. Braking and cornering are great and I'd be reluctant to lose that.

Ride is a very personal thing and I'd seriously suggest driving both versions before committing. The point I wanted to make is I was expecting a harsh ride and found a smooth but tight ride which is not the same thing, but I've driven Saab Turbos, Lancia Betas and minis which are all degrees of firm.

Not convinced raising the suspension will help the car's looks either.

It's an interesting one!

57 minutes ago, Clive-D said:

Hi - I collected a 2011 A3 S Line Cab last week and I too read the comments about hard suspension when I was looking. I like drivers' cars but don't rag them in the way I used to. Have to say I was very pleasantly surprised at how comfy the car is and I would suggest the ride is not as hard as you might think. I have been in a friends A4 and the seats were really firm and the ride less comfy the the S line. The S line seats in the A3 are really comfortable. What has impressed me most so far is how smooth and sure footed the car is. There is very little roll and those 18 inch wheels soak up speed bumps and pot holes. It rides better over poor roads (which we have miles of in Surrey) way better than a Jazz (16in 70R) and a Smart (my previous commuter car) which is brutal on rough roads. The suspension does a good job too. Simple lane changes are positive and confident. Braking and cornering are great and I'd be reluctant to lose that.

Ride is a very personal thing and I'd seriously suggest driving both versions before committing. The point I wanted to make is I was expecting a harsh ride and found a smooth but tight ride which is not the same thing, but I've driven Saab Turbos, Lancia Betas and minis which are all degrees of firm.

Not convinced raising the suspension will help the car's looks either.

It's an interesting one!

Welcome to the forum Clive! :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

glad your pleased with a3, and I couldn't agree more about the S Line seats. They are far superior over the non S Line items :) 

when you get a chance feel free to post a pic of your a3 :) 

cheers

steve