Pulling away judder

iowphil

Following on from my wifes post earlier (drive issue)

I have driven the car today to try and see what the issue is like for myself to get my own idea...(a4 2.0ltr tdi multitronic)

I have got the issue down to when pulling away with slight acceleration and slow speed the car makes a big thud and a few jerking movements,,,then after if I carry on with the same pulling away the car makes a rocking motion like the clutch is slipping(feels like when you apply the brake and off again and on etc)

Ive been to a good friend of mine who's got a reputable garage business and took him for a drive and he was shocked at what was happening...at speed its fine but gentle pulling away of on hills its bad. The car actually cut out on my wife a couple of days ago.

Weve had the car scanned and no codes are on there at all so cant pin point anything there.

It doesn't seem that bad with the judder in manual mode but there is still something there that's not right, the thud is more apparent when we go into reverse and pull away gently..

we have the cvt gearbox and my mate seems to think it maybe flywheel issue after a chat and a google search...

whats the score with the cvt gearbox? can we change clutch and flywheel? euro car parts show a clutch and flywheel kit but my local motor factor only shows a flywheel and bolts kit and not a clutch... 

Is there any other things that it could be with the issue only being gently pulling away and not stopping or slowing down....

we don't fancy just doing the clutch/gearbox just in the off chance

My knowledge of CVT boxes is not that good but I am confused by you mentioning 'clutch' and flywheel? Are you sure it has a clutch? Out with the gearbox?

It might well be worth topping up the fluid level in the box, I have read a couple times that these boxes can run low on fluid. I would get that checked as a priority tbh as it's a cheap fix and will prevent failure of the box if it is indeed the cause of the issue.

I'm not sure to be honest that's one of the questions I need answering, I'm not sure what is needed to fix it or maybe just the flywheel,,,i my ring audi tomorrow and ask their advise

yes I too have read about gearbox oil levels so I will look into that aswell

• 6 years later...