Buying advice please

JasonGM

Hi all. I'd appreciate some advice. I'm about to buy a 2011 A7 TDI Quattro S-Line (245ps). Is there anything in particular I should look out for in the service history? And I have already looked into having it remapped for greater bhp and torque. Anyone got any experience of this and if so would you recommend any of the various companies that do it? Any help gratefully received.

Welcome to the forum Jason :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

if the a7 has full Audi history then you can ring Audi to see what work the car has had. Obviously check to see if the cambelt and waterpump has been changed as I suspect the car is due the change by now.

This also goes for the Quattro system. Check to see when it was last serviced and check tyre wear. I say this as the Quattro system can be sensitive to uneven tyre wear and this can potentially damage the Quattro system. 

Obviously check to see if all electronic components work as they can be expensive to fix. 

Im assuming it's an auto. If so make sure the gear changes are smooth both in both auto and manual modes. Check to see in the service history when the gearbox oil was last changed. 

But like I say if it's full Audi history then you can ring them to check all this ;) 

another thing I would advise is an independent inspection which can be carried out by companies such as the AA or RAC. If the seller is reluctant or refuses for you to have this done then you have to ask what the seller has to hide! 

Finally I have to comend you on your choice of Audi as the a7 is a lovely car :) 

hope iv helped :) 

cheers

steve 

• Like 1

Hello Jason,

As an addition to Steve's sound and comprehensive advice, I would also be in touch with the previous keeper, since despite having service history up to the hilt, owners get rid of cars for a reason - which they know, but you won't, unless you enquire. To me, this step is as important as checking the service history and arranging an inspection. The fully story rests with them.

Good luck with your impending purchase. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Thanks for the advice Steve and Gareth. I rang Audi but they said they can't give me any meaningful information about the service history because of data protection laws - they can simply confirm that it has been serviced. I can't trace the previous owner as I just have his name and he doesn't show up in the usual on-line places (google search, LinkedIn, Facebook etc). So I may just have to take a chance ... There aren't any particular problems that I need to be aware of are there? Again, your help much appreciated (ps I had a wonderful Cabriolet for a few years back in the 90s - before they were known as A4 Cabriolets - and am pleased to begetting back into Audi!)

Hello Jason,

Um?    "So I may just have to take a chance...... There aren't any particular problems that I need be aware of are there? 

Well Jason,  as I see it it's the bit "so I may just have to take a chance....." - that's the potential problem. It's always difficult to advise at a  distance and it's again its always likely that any advice can  be putting a dampener on the pleasurable process of buying.

I would guess (due to its age) that this car is being sold by a non franchise dealer, and I take it you have seen the V5 to be able to get the last keeper's name. I just wonder if this owner is localish to where the car is now being sold, and if so then it's reasonable to assume it's come  through the local trade channels and been part exchanged possibly through a main dealer. If so, then it should be easy to make contact. If the owner is not local to where it's being sold, then there is a chance that its come through the auction route!  

Three things Jason:-

Have you tried visiting your local Audi dealer armed with the reg. No. and asking them if they will check the history for you.?

Wondered if you have tried the good old fashioned BT Directory Enquiries for the keeper's contact number.

Wondered if you were going to have this inspected to minimise the ...take a chance..? 

Good luck with it .

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Take it you have run an MOT history check on this. Advisories like tyres near the limit etc. often give an indication of how careful the owner has been. 

• 1 month later...