New badge structure for all Audis

Steve Q

As it says really, Audi have changed its badging structure to show the KW rating instead of its litres. 

This badging structure has now been first introduced on the new Audi A8 and is being roled across all audi models. 

Heres the link for further info: 

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/new-audi-power-badges/

heres the table: 

badge no.               Power output

25.                            Up to 108ps 

30.                            110-130ps

35.                            150-163ps

40.                             170-204ps

45.                             230-252ps

50.                             285-313ps

55.                             333-374ps

60.                             435-462ps

70.                             544+ps

cheers

Steve 

3 hours ago, Brad-B5 said:

Was just about to post this! Steve! lol

I think it's something that I've got to get used to it :S

Lol early bird catches the worm! :p it's going to get slightly confusing! 

Indeed it does Steve lol 

It's going to be like this for a while lol

P1"I have a 30"

P2"isnt that 200bhp?"

P1"no its the 130BHP I think"

P2"are you sure?" 

P1 "yea I'm sure.....I think...."

(repeat) 

4 minutes ago, Brad-B5 said:

Indeed it does Steve lol 

It's going to be like this for a while lol

P1"I have a 30"

P2"isnt that 200bhp?"

P1"no its the 130BHP I think"

P2"are you sure?" 

P1 "yea I'm sure.....I think...."

(repeat) 

Lol true! What makes it worse is that it's based on KW not bhp! 

Exactly so you need to know the KW to also have the relevant BHP FFS Audi what you guys doing! lol

I understand this is to help out on future models though so there is a relevant meaning to it any way. 

3 hours ago, Brad-B5 said:

Exactly so you need to know the KW to also have the relevant BHP FFS Audi what you guys doing! lol

I understand this is to help out on future models though so there is a relevant meaning to it any way. 

KW must be a European or German thing. I just don't get the sense to change a badging structure they've had in place for around 20 years. 

Being very proud to be British this kinda gets my back up. Especially as the world together talks BHP, especially on the aftermarket and performance tuning circles!! Even the Americans take BHP. And car dealers still sell in BHP!

I believe the first measurements engine wise was just horse power HP equivalence but this evolved to BHP Brake-horsepower or scientifically as 'mechanical horsepower' (pinch yourself if you are falling to sleep 😴)

PS stands for the German word 'pferdestärke' or 'horse strength' but is a metric scale. BHP is approx 98.6% of this so 1PS = 0.986BHP. (We obviously breed better stronger horses in the 🇬🇧 lol).

The car market widely interchanges these figure. In the world of VAG the 2.0 TDI engine was most commonly designated 140PS and 170PS but referred to as 140 and 170BHP (Are you still awake?!?) The easy way to convert this is to drop 1 BHP for every 70PS, so a 140PS car is basically 138BHP! This is an approximation that is easily used.

Now, Kw or Kilowatt, introduced in the early 90's was an EU thing. It didn't catch on for about 10 years but even today while quoted in all brochures etc BHP is still the figures preferred. Now that we are seeing more hybrid technology etc it's becoming more popular.

Again using the 140PS or 138BHP engine, times the PS value by 0.7457 which gives approx 104.5 Kw.

Though to simplify things (stop yawning!!) 

Times the Kw value by 1.32 to give BHP and 1.34 to give PS. And just drop 1BHP for every 70PS.

E.g. 104.5Kw engine is (104.5 * 1.34)= 140PS (-2)= 138BHP.

My car is a 180ps which basically is 177BHP Or a 134.3Kw engine.

Clear as mud.:wine: I need a drink!!

• Like 1

On 27/08/2017 at 1:26 PM, Dan3222 said:

Being very proud to be British this kinda gets my back up. Especially as the world together talks BHP, especially on the aftermarket and performance tuning circles!! Even the Americans take BHP. And car dealers still sell in BHP!

I believe the first measurements engine wise was just horse power HP equivalence but this evolved to BHP Brake-horsepower or scientifically as 'mechanical horsepower' (pinch yourself if you are falling to sleep 😴)

PS stands for the German word 'pferdestärke' or 'horse strength' but is a metric scale. BHP is approx 98.6% of this so 1PS = 0.986BHP. (We obviously breed better stronger horses in the 🇬🇧 lol).

The car market widely interchanges these figure. In the world of VAG the 2.0 TDI engine was most commonly designated 140PS and 170PS but referred to as 140 and 170BHP (Are you still awake?!?) The easy way to convert this is to drop 1 BHP for every 70PS, so a 140PS car is basically 138BHP! This is an approximation that is easily used.

Now, Kw or Kilowatt, introduced in the early 90's was an EU thing. It didn't catch on for about 10 years but even today while quoted in all brochures etc BHP is still the figures preferred. Now that we are seeing more hybrid technology etc it's becoming more popular.

Again using the 140PS or 138BHP engine, times the PS value by 0.7457 which gives approx 104.5 Kw.

Though to simplify things (stop yawning!!) 

Times the Kw value by 1.32 to give BHP and 1.34 to give PS. And just drop 1BHP for every 70PS.

E.g. 104.5Kw engine is (104.5 * 1.34)= 140PS (-2)= 138BHP.

My car is a 180ps which basically is 177BHP Or a 134.3Kw engine.

Clear as mud.:wine: I need a drink!!

Thanks for clearing that up Dan! :) 

So the one thing that still doesn't make sense to me is that it would be fine using this as a metric for both fueled and electric cars but to me that will just add more confusion! So I get the bit about converting bhp in kw but on a fueled car that's specific to the engine output. On an electric car kw specifically refers to the battery output and not the electric motor output so on both car there effectively trying to use the same measure for two completely different things!

So it put it into perspective, a Nissan Leaf Visia 24Kw by these terms would be a 32bhp. I like to see something with only 32bhp get to 62mph in 11.6 sec!!!!

What it actually has is an 80Kw output motor which translates to around 110hp which is why it can do the 0 - 60 in 11.6.

Before any of this gets unified into one power output system the electric car market needs to change how they advertised the power output from the battery size to motor output!

Anyway, who would like to see an "Audi A3 70 TFSI" (W10 maybe! ) :yahoo::yahoo:

I agree with you Rob, how can you use the same measurement for two different things. 

With regard to power if electric cars, they can accelerate quicker can't they? Something to do with less moving parts or friction I think. 

46 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

I agree with you Rob, how can you use the same measurement for two different things. 

With regard to power if electric cars, they can accelerate quicker can't they? Something to do with less moving parts or friction I think. 

Electric motors don't have a torque curve they produce maximum torque from the second you go! If you want a giggle search YouTube for electric drag cars there insane!!!! 

1 hour ago, Rob82DZL said:

Electric motors don't have a torque curve they produce maximum torque from the second you go! If you want a giggle search YouTube for electric drag cars there insane!!!! 

Ah iv gotcha! 

Abd il just do that Rob :)