Have I inherited a problem car?

ManusGun

Hello, perhaps someone might be able to advise? I have just been given a old Audi A6 2.5 TDI V6 (high mileage but immaculate), but it has the Glow Plug warning light come on shortly after starting and stay on. Apparently it has done this for a while and does not seem to effect performance. However on reading forums on the issue it seems the vehicle could go into limp mode any time (not nice on a motorway!). Whilst it is a lovely car to drive I don't want to get into expensive repairs so am I best to just sell it on and if so presumably I still need to get it diagnosed as no one will buy it with this light on (does this model have an EMS or does the Glow Plug light sort of do this job covering all sorts of possible issues?). On the other hand maybe it's worth spending a few hundred pounds to drive what is a lovely car!!! 

Welcome to the forum Marcus :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

i have the same car with the same engine and it would be worth getting it fixed. I love mine and it's solid as a rock. You say high mileage, what's it on? Mines done 327,100 miles on the original engine and gearbox ;) 

it would well be worth you getting a diagnostic check done as it could be a number of things but on the same token it could just need a glow plug! 

Cheers

Steve 

Hi Marnus

Welcome to the forum! :D

I have a different car but When I turn the ignition on (not the Engine though) I have a glow plug light stay on for roughly 10 seconds before I turn the car or it will fully rev, this has been happening since I've owned the car for 3 year , a bit annoying but If you and Steve have the same car I'm sure he will be of great help :D

Kind regards

Bradley

Hello Steve and Brad

Thank you for getting back to me. My wife thinks we should pass it on but it's encouraging you feel it might be something straight forward. It's also good to hear they can go on and on. Mine has only 187k to your 300k+!!! Another point is that it's one of the few cars we have been able to fit three car seats side by side in the back. I will get a diagnostic done asap esp as I don't want to risk going into limp mode in the fast lane with children on board.

Thank you again for the welcome. Look forward to learning a thing or two about Audi's

6 hours ago, ManusGun said:

Hello Steve and Brad

Thank you for getting back to me. My wife thinks we should pass it on but it's encouraging you feel it might be something straight forward. It's also good to hear they can go on and on. Mine has only 187k to your 300k+!!! Another point is that it's one of the few cars we have been able to fit three car seats side by side in the back. I will get a diagnostic done asap esp as I don't want to risk going into limp mode in the fast lane with children on board.

Thank you again for the welcome. Look forward to learning a thing or two about Audi's

Your welcome :) 

keep us posted on how you get on :) 

cheers

steve