Newbie with a few queries

seasideraudi

Hi all

I bought an Audi A6 2015 Ultra black edition 2.0TDI AUTO earlier this summer. I am completely useless when it comes to things like this so I apologise if some of the questions are poor.

1. I am on 26k miles and the Adblue warning has come on with 1100 miles to go. I have spoken to Audi and its £38 to get it topped up by them. I have checked online its roughly £18 for 20L and apparently I can unlock the cap with the equipment in the boot. Would you say for the £20 I should do it myself and also would 20L be enough?

2. Is there anyway of overriding the automatic stop start? I turn it off every time I start the engine.

3. Has anyone found a decent network provider contract purely for Data for a sim card to use on Audi connect?

4. Is there anything I should be aware of that could be upgraded by me (or a mechanic) that would be beneficial as an improvement on the standard engine etc? I know that's a bit vague but simply would a remap be an idea? I don't want to cause issues when I get it serviced at the Audi garage.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Tom, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) oh and there is no such thing as a stupid question! :) 

With regard to your ad blue tank it's just the same as fulling up your car with fuel except you don't use a pump. Ie you can't over fill it :) also it is far cheaper doing it yourself rather than getting Audi to do. I'm sure other places like hAlford's or Parker's would do it for you a lot cheaper :) 

With regard to the start stop system there is no way of turning it off permanently I'm afraid due to emissions rules and regs I believe. 

I can't really help with question 3 I'm afraid as IV not really had an experience with having internet in a car, sorry.

With regard to a remap your car would respond well and it would improve bhp And torque and could potentially improve your mpg as the engine is running with less restrictions :) any reputable tuner should tailer the map to your car as each car is different due to age, mileage and the way it has been driven and serviced. Obviously make sure the car is in good health before you have a remap as any issue could cause unnecessary wear or damage. Oh and don't forget to tell your insurance company it's been remapped 

Hope IV helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

Hi Tom, 

I get my AdBlue from Amazon - £14 and free delivery last shout. 20 L lasts around 10,000 miles and 20l will fit in the tank when the warning is live. I would not chance brimming it - it's not hard to top up and note its corrosive so you don't want to be splashing it on all over....  

I have not found the S/S that intrusive and with Hill Hold on as well you can sit stopped with no feet on the pedals and then just depress the gas to pull away. During the winter it will S/S less anyway. Is turning it off that hard to do (One other option is to keep it in Sport mode on the drive select)  

I am using Virgin Mobile SIM - Networks are all much of a muchness. I pay £9 / Month for 2GB (double up for free) and they roll over what I (the kids) don't use to the following month. In car internet is a nice to have and the kids browse via their Tablets on long journeys. Google Maps and the search is great but now the honeymoon is over it is rare that I use it that often. 

hi Tom,

regarding the start stop, it can be set to remember last state on startup so once you've switched it off, it stays off on every subsequent start up, but you need to activate it through vag-com/vcds through the obd port under the steering wheel.

the cheapest way of doing so yourself is with the carista adapter, pop your model and year in on the site to see what features it supports, after the free 1 month trial you'll have to subscribe to the app so make sure its worth your while before you take the plunge! http://www.caristaapp.com

otherwise your looking at around £300 for the proper ross tech cable and software. https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS

I have it set on mine and it works fine.

don't have ad blue or audi connect on mine so can't help you there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom

Just to add to what has been said already, if you top the AdBlue up yourself, do be very wary of spilling any on yourself or the car. You may as well chuck brake fluid on the paintwork for the damage it will do. So if you end up with any left, DO NOT store it anywhere that may heat up as I'm aware of someone who left their AdBlue bottle in the boot a couple of summers ago for a few days when summer hit it's hottest, and ended up having to replace the whole interior of the car as it'd been ruined by the vapour once the bottle exploded from the heat.

Crikey - if it was that volatile it would come with more safety advice than that in the article below 

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/products-services/fuels/adblue/MSDS Adblue.pdf 

The site below should answer many questions...

http://www.workshopwarehouse.co.uk/news/AdBlue/

Now I concede it should be treated with respect like the fuel you put in your car.

BTW: Amazon Bargain 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KOEMJIW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1