2011 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI buying advice?

Daniel Burrows

Hi guys,

I went to view a 2011 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro (53,000 miles and FSH) the other day, the dealer I visited seemed pretty legit and trustworthy. However, when I started the car I noticed the engine management light was on glowing yellow. Now I know an EML can come on for something very simple and it was probably just that the car had sat at the dealership for a while because I had been keeping tabs on it for a few weeks to see if the price would come down. But should I be concerned?

The other concern I had is when you blipped the revs to 3500RPM on the come down a strange rattling noise was coming from the drivers side of the engine block almost like when you scrape one of those wooden guiro instruments. I’ve read online that these models suffered with a rattle from the wastegate rod/arm and Audi claimed its a characteristic of the car and cannot be fixed (although some have suggested an aftermarket clamp that is able to nullify this sound)

All I’m trying to find out is whether I’m being paranoid or whether it genuinely is a car with problems. Could this noise be something wrong with the turbo potentially? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel Burrows

Hi Daniel. 

I owned a non Quattro 2.0ltr TFSI A3 with DSG. All the dash warning lights come on after turning the ignition key and then go out in a check system. So from this if one light stays on then it should be checked out as the cars system has found a problem. On from this sometimes it would take slightly longer for all the lights to go through the sequence. Note though yellow/orange lights are not as bad as red lights.

The rattle I don't know about as I my car was newer age at the time I had it. 

One issue I found on my car was creaky rear suspension. Basically the rear suspension would creak when you got out of the car. Audi dealer mechanic said this is not an issue though and very common so no fix required.

All that said that car was the best drive I've owned so far. The DSG made it so relaxing. The suspension is a dam sight better than the mk1 A3 and the seats are very comfortable. 

So for some piece of mind you can check out the dealer feedback on line, auto trader has dealer feedback for example. You can always make the dealer aware of the issue and your concerns too. They would surely address both issues for a sale.

Sorry I can not fully answer your problems though I hope I have been of some use. Keep us informed on the outcome 

Adam

Thanks for your insight Adam,

You know the funny thing is my experience with the dealer was pleasant, but very odd. Usually they do everything in there power to get a sale but when I said I’m not prepared to deposit on the car with those issues, they said ok not a problem, they didn’t seem keen to get the car looked at by what they claim are there ‘master technicians’. It’s like they didnt want to sell the car, it’s like they are waiting for some mug to come and just buy it, no questions asked. I just wanted to shake the salesman and be like come on you can sell the car if you sort those issues! A very strange experience. 

Daniel Burrows

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel welcome to the forum :) 

You'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

You say it has fsh, has this thrown up anything which could help with diagnosing the problem? It has anything been missed during services or anything major flagged up.on the MOTs? 

The rattle could be anything from a loose heat shield through to a work engine/gearbox mount. 

As cliff as said I wouldn't buy a car if the eml light was on as clearly there is an issue the dealer isn't fixing. But I suppose this is better than him just turning the light off to pretend everything is ok. What has the dealer said about the issues?

Sorry I can't help more. 

Cheers

Steve

Well I'd just be careful. It might be worth you having an independent inspection carried out by companies such as the AA or RAC. If the dealer refuses or is reluctant then I would say the dealer or car has more to hide! 

Cheers

Steve