Parking break malfunction

Ryan29KID

Hi.

I have recently brought an s5. I normally wash the car myself. However with Christmas approaching I let the polish wash it for me. About half hour after I left I had the parking break malfunction light, abs light and traction light come on. 

Does anyone know what the problem is and why it's come on all of a sudden.

Any help is much appreciated 

Hello Ryan,

I guess you mean Polish. Were they wealding high pressure washer lances which also deliver cleaning chemicals onto evetything? These chemicals will take the skin off your hands and is almost guaranteed to turn your lacquer milky in a year or so. 

They generally don't consider these chemicals active enough to deal with wheels! -  so they use a super one which rusts up your discs in no time at all, and combined with the force from the lance, is sure to find its pressured way into delicate ABS sensors etc. Could well be the root of your problems. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2017 at 12:04 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Ryan,

I guess you mean Polish. Were they wealding high pressure washer lances which also deliver cleaning chemicals onto evetything? These chemicals will take the skin off your hands and is almost guaranteed to turn your lacquer milky in a year or so. 

They generally don't consider these chemicals active enough to deal with wheels! -  so they use a super one which rusts up your discs in no time at all, and combined with the force from the lance, is sure to find its pressured way into delicate ABS sensors etc. Could well be the root of your problems. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thank you for your response. 

I have checked all sensors. They are still all attached. I have used electrical contact spray on them. Still got the problem. 😭 really annoying now. The garages I have been to can't even find the fault.

• 10 months later...

The high pressure wash could force water past the connector seals and into the electrical connections on the cable and sensor.  I’d want to disconnect each one and make sure it’s bone dry inside both the plug and socket, check there’s no sign of any residue, corrosion etc on the pins and socket at the same time. 

id wash the contact cleaner off sharpish too. They can leave a residue on plastics (cables, connectors, sensor case etc) that holds dirt and eventually damages the cable insulation. (Same with stuff like wd40).