Battery Replacement

chizy

First of all, Seasons Greetings everyone!!!

Loving being a 2008 2.0 TDI owner, should have done got one years ago.

Starting to notice that starting on these blimmin cold mornings is a tad laboured and the subsequent running around with heaters,lights etc is probably not helping to maintain the battery in tip top condition. No idea how old the battery is so do I remove and give it a boost with a home charge or just go for a brand new one with my recently acquired Christmas money?

Either way the battery has got be removed, anything I need to be aware of - radio codes etc?

If I do go down the route of buying something useful like a battery,(instead of spending my Christmas money on dancing girls and vodka) any recommendations on brand,type supplier etc

Thanks in advance,

chiz

Hello Chizy,

It is quite possible that the battery on the car may be the original - about the average lifespan of the original. 

If it were mine, I would be charging it overnight then getting it (and the alternator output) tested. Halfords can do this. If it proves to be suspect then of course you will need to replace it. Halfords sell them but it depends how much respect you have for your wallet! 

I tend to buy batteries which have more than a 3 year guarantee, since in my experience they last just over the 3 years! If you pay a little more then you seem to get a lot more for your money. It is quite possible that original battery would have been by Varta and I don't think you will go far wrong with one of these, or possibly Bosch, but if you do go with Varta check on the colour of the top, since I think ( and it's only a belief) that they are now producing a more budget battery with a black top - could be wrong it this assumption. Possible on line suppliers :- Tayna, Battery Megastore etc. ( no connection or recommendation and there are others).

Hope some if this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Gareth, thanks for the reply.

Have had dealings before with Tayna in the past and have found their prices and service spot on.

Probably going to go down the route of replacing the battery (mechanic mate of mine check the alternator output and all good there) if I'm being honest with a Varta or a Bosch.

As far as respecting the wallet? Used to own Land Rovers, that respect disappeared years ago :w00t:

All the best,

chiz

Hello Chiz,

Dont think you will go far wrong with a Varta- usually more expensive than your average ,but...

Incase it helps, I have just bought one for an MG, from Plymouth Batteries (Eurobatt on EBay) at a very good price ( no connection). I believe you save by buying via eBay rather than direct - how that can be I don't know!  Could see how they compare with Tayna.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Good shout Gareth, I'll do my research

*Plus, I'll also give you a toot as I hurtle down the M4 (and beyond) next week to see the old man in 'it doesn't just rain, it twats it down' Pembrokeshire!! 

Stay safe

chiz