Oil change vs service

Beaconjon

Morning all, 

So my A4 Avant (2.0Tdi B8 89K miles) tells me I need an oil change but I notice on the service screen that its also due a service in 2500 miles.  That'll take me about 2 months to do. 

I'm reluctant to pay for the car going in twice in relatively quick succession and I was wondering why the two visits to the garage don't coincide?  Can they be brought into line at all?

What do people pay for these services generally and baring the oil change, what does the other "service" cover?  I have a good independant here in Rugby (VASSTEC)

Cheers for any info

Jon

Hi Jon, there are 2 types of service. Minor and major. Minor service will include oil filter and oil change and the major service will include:

Oil and oil filter change, air filter change, pollen filter change. I'm.sure there is something I've forgotten!? 

If it were me I'd have the service done early at the time the oil change is due. 

In terms of price, it's worth asking your local Audi dealer(s) what offers they have on by ringing around ;) there's always a discount they can do I'm sure! 

When I worked at a volkswagen service department the minor service was £169 if memory serves me correctly. I can't remember what price the major service was, sorry. 

Abit random but a cambelt and water pump was around £499 with Volkswagen (I think). 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

1 hour ago, Beaconjon said:

Cheers Steve. 

I've contacted my local independent for prices. They advised the same, get them done together at the same time. 

I'll have a ring around too. 

Cheers 

Jon

Not a problem Jon. Glad I could help :) 

3 hours ago, Beaconjon said:

Hm, over £300 for a full service is a little steep. Anything in there that a home mechanic couldn't tackle? I've no warranty to void anyway. 

Is that what Audi quoted you?! Or an independent? 

Hypothetically not, except resetting the service light. Unless you have vagcom or similar software. As I say a full service requires an oil change, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter. As I say im sure I'm forgetting something, but your local motor factors or euro carparts or similar will be able to advise you on what exactly you need for a full service :) 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Jonathan,

I will of course bow to Steve's greater experience with these things, but as I understand it, there is such a thing as a Longlife service schedule where superior oils are used and the vehicle then becomes capable of greater mileages between services. It might be worthwhile checking what service schedule this car has been on up until now. 

Again Steve will correct if I am wrong, but I believe the service light will also come on at the intervals of 2 years from the date of first registration to advise you to have the brake fluid changed, and I wonder if this may be the service light you are seeing. I'm probanly out of date with the detail here, but does the message actually say oil change as opposed to service required? 

Yes, if you are OK with the spanners, then there is a lot that can be done to save money, but I would return some of this savings by buying only quality parts. You can get discounts at some Audi dealers ( one in your geographical area I think - let me know if you are going down the DIY route) and I always go down that route rather than factor parts. OK Euro CP can supply you all you need, and do supply filters branded with a name of a once respected UK filter manufacturer. Personally, just not for me, but.... 

Oil? VAG were recommending the use of Quantum oils - available from the same discount dealer or other internet suppliers. Branded Quantum Longlife 3 - or was.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Belt rather than chain on this engine? Need to check and deal with as necessary.

Hi Gareth.

Again, many thanks for the info and advice. 

I've got the cars service history (full) printout as it's all held on file these days. I've contacted Audi UK to get them to confirm which service I'm due after the oil change (which is highlighted on the cars display, I've had a time and mileage countdown)   

Baring the brake fluid change, I'm quite happy to do the rest, which I will. 

Wether or not I can reset the counters is yet to be seen although I do have that option available by the looks on the cars info screen. 

I'll certainly look at getting the best oil I can and again may see what Audi recommend. 

Cheers

Jon

Sounds good that you will be doing most of this yourself Jon. The correct grade, and reputable brand of oil is important, but equally important is good quality filtration, otherwise it's a bit like putting your best suit on and having holes in your underpants! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.