Ko3 or ko3s? Somebody must know!

chris evans

Easy peeps. So I've read so many things where people are so sure which turbochargers are fitted to which engines but it never seems to add up. I have a 51 plate A3 8L 1.8 20valve Turbo Sport with the 150bhp AUM engine. It's 2wd (as specific as I can be). I took it to a guy to talk about a remap and he tells me that it's a KO3 turbo.....however, another tuner told me it's a KO3s. The first guy says he can get it to just below 200brake with the KO3, which is lovely but what happens if he's wrong?

Two questions then.

1. What turbo is it?

2. Can my tuner bone my car with a map for the wrong turbo?

Hi Chris, my advice would be to ask Audi as they'll definitely know which turbo is fitted. 

I would argue if a tuner doesn't know which turbo is fitted, then the question is can you trust them to tune/remap your a3?! 

Sorry I can't help more.

Cheers

Steve

24 minutes ago, chris evans said:

I didn't even think of asking the main dealer. Will they have the full spec of my car if I give them the reg? It's a great idea..... I'll give them a call. Thanks steve

You're welcome :) 

Yes they should! It might be worth you giving them the VIN number as well as the reg :) they should also be able to provide you with all the service history the a3 has ever had at any main dealer :) 

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

The car came with a full service history when I took it over in October 2016 and I've kept I did the cambelt and water pump march last year along with Bosch super4's and the S2000 filter. It's quite clean under there too..... I'll put some picks on the photo thread