5 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

You would have to sand it down smooth first and fill in any gaps . Prep is more important then spraying :) 

What was the paint you used ?

Some type of stone chip matt black paint that has a paint nozzle like tin of wd-40, Stuff was $h1t to use

4 hours ago, Steve Q said:

My hat off to you Craig for challenging this job yourself :) 

Thanks Steve :) 

Hello Craig, 

I'm very much with Piotr on this when he says preparation is more important than spraying. Stonechip is useful for areas which are subject to excessive attack from gravel etc. and it would seem that the area you are treated would be one, but Audi had reason to believe their original paint system didn't need it. 

Now stonchip is also used by owners to short curcuit the necessary surface preparation which results in a good finish, so it's used as a bodge. One thing I would ask Craig is what are you going to do with the surface which is currently coloured maroon? If you are going to respray this as well, then you should really prepare this properly before putting anything on anywhere, since all the preparation on this is going to run over your stone chip area. I always do all the preparation in one operation first if possible.

If the stonechip nozzle has a pinhole rather than a slot (as they often do) then you have to be careful of applying too much, too fast in any one area, and you certainly have to apply it thinly in many coats with a good 10 mins. between coats. My guess is you've applied it too thickly and I bet with the can too Close to the job - yes, I know we have a culture of if all else fails, read the instructions but...! 

So you are now unfortunately in the pickies a bit here, since stonechip doesn't sand! Careful, and I stress careful, use of cellulose thinners to clean it off (please do not get it near to any paintwork on anything) might help. Then start again and prepare the whole surface properly. It isn't such .s...... to use, but it has to be used with respect for what it was designed for and how it is recommended to be applied.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Finish colour:- I would ensure any aerosol of finish colour (and particularly lacquer) you use, has a slotted nozzle rather than a pinhole - as some of the cheaper one do. Pinhole nozzles are more susceptible to putting too much paint onto an area, and then it runs.