S4 bonnet vent cooling

karl_tea

Hi all,
Got a 4.2 S4 and it gets hot realy quickly when stood still, thinking of putting bonnet vents in to help cooling, any ideas what type would be best (one big or two small) and what position, also would water ingress be a problem ? Cheers karl

Hi Karl, 

Vents are definitely an option but as you've highlighted, water ingress could be an issue. Plus the extra work involved in.curting the bonnet and measuring etc. 

One solution I've seen is bonnet spaces (also known as bonnet raisers). As you'll see in the pics it allows better cooling for the engine and obviously can be removed when you come to sell the car. 

You could also add extra ducting to the engine with plastic pipework. Similar to what you would get in an induction kit. If that makes sense. 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

EPR_Bonnet_Spacer_003-500x500.jpg

s-l640.jpg

file.jpg

file (1).jpg

file (2).jpg

file (3).jpg

Dont think i could get away  with them, you would get some little !Removed! trying to force the bonnet open, was thinking of putting some sort of "drip tray" so the hot air can get out but the water is chaneled out ...  Thanks for the idea but dont think can use it :( 

5 minutes ago, karl_tea said:

Dont think i could get away  with them, you would get some little !Removed! trying to force the bonnet open, was thinking of putting some sort of "drip tray" so the hot air can get out but the water is chaneled out ...  Thanks for the idea but dont think can use it :( 

Is the engine getting hotter than it should be? 

If so i wonder if it requires a new thermostat. Or if there is some other fault with the cooling system. 

Sorry my suggestion was no good. There are various vents available. Obviously you've got the universal ones but you could consider vents from another car entirely. 

Or you.could add extra vents/holes where the number plate sits. 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1