Winter tyres question!

ReidQ7

I need to get winter tyres for my 2017 Audi Q7 TDI 272 Quattro S line. It came with 21inch summer tyres as standard. My local Audi garage has said they will only supply and fit both the wheel and the tyre and it’s a smaller tyre and v expensive. The parts man wasn’t too forthcoming with info. Does anyone know why I need to buy both the wheel and the tyre rather than just the tyre. I’m out and about in the alps a lot and need a v good winter tyre so will spend if its a safety thing but I’ve never heard of having to buy new wheels as well. I didn’t have to do that for my freelander. Sorry if this is stupid question but I’m new to Audi’s and also don’t know much about cars! 

Hello Trudi,

I must start off by saying that I'm certainly not going to be of much help to you with your question, but perhaps there is a chance that your pocket may think my comments are worth giving a coat of thinking about.

To get to basics, who says you have to get winter tyres for this vehicle? I ask in my simply aging mind, since up to a few years ago no one mentioned fitting different tyres during the winter months - in the UK anyway. Now, cynical old me thinks this is a fad concocted by the tyre industry to extract money from your bank account. When you think about it, it would probably be worth looking up the statistics of the average snowfall and ice conditions in Surrey over the last 5 years, digest those, and think that we are already into February and the chances of snow will decrease anyway. 

If it were me I would simply continue with your current tyres (as I have always done over here in Wales where the weather can be worse) and enjoy the car - driving more carefully in adverse conditions as we should anyway - and keep your money in the bank. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Should have probably said that I live out in the alps for part of the winter season hence the need for winter tyres. It’s a legal requirement and also impossible to drive anywhere for most of the winter without them. 

Thanks for coming back on this Trudie - Surrey but applies to the Alps. Lesson :- never assume things to be what you think they are? 

Sorry Trudie, but I cannot help you, but perhaps someone will. 

Interesting to note that fitting winter tyres is a legal requirement, and in the UK it had become increasingly topical and talked about. Dare I ask - Brexit or no Brexit -how long before this legal requirement becomes applicable in the UK?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 2 weeks later...

Winter tyres are smaller and thinner for traction, so its due to the size of your 21 inch wheels.  Ive had 19inch winter tyres before, I think max is 20inch.  Would suggest getting some cheaper winter wheels and to match the tyres you need.

• 1 month later...

You can buy winter tyres for your 21" wheels, they are expensive though.
For a set of 4 you are looking at £870 - £1140 depending on which tyre you choose.
Have a look at Blackcircles or Mytyres, you'll see the fitted prices there.

You don't have to buy new wheels.

And winter tyres will make a difference on a nearly 2.5 ton car, as summer tyres will have less traction in the snow.