A4 Avant B6 Owner

Ben Stanley

Good evening all,

Tonight I bought myself a 2002 (52) A4 1.9TDSE Avant for the grand total of £400, It has no MOT a rusty front arch, a dent in the boot lid and some laquer peel. It is booked in Monday for an MOT and the previous MOT has no advisories so fingers crossed for me please!!!

I haven't actually seen it on person :whistling1: due to a possible head gasket failure on my MR2 turbo on my way to view so had to rope my parents into viewing it for me, dad took it for a drive and said if I didn't want it he was going to buy it so I was happy for him to put down a deposit. According to the PO it needs 2 tyres and wipers all round and possibly a wheel bearing so we shall see, my dad did mention that the dipstick had come out of its seal so wasn't causing a vacuum?? Is this an issue?

Is there anything else I need to look out for when I finally get my hands on it? Interior is tatty so I will be sorting that out and I will need a new wing and boot lid, it will also be having a service and the cambelt changing as there isn't any history with it as they guy did it all himself so I would rater be safe than sorry!

Plans are EGR blank, decat and a remap any other things I should look at?

Any help welcomed!

Thanks,

Ben

Welcome to the forums:yahoo:

Nice friendly atmosphere here with plenty of Audi owners to help where they can.

Please be sure to give the forum rules a quick view

Sounds like you got your work cut out for you, like you say get the MOT done and go from there m8 could be a nice project for you shows us some before and after pics of the work you have had done

Paul

Welcome to the forum Ben, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

Obviously check the service history to see what it's previously had done. This is important for the cambelt and water pump. 

Make sure all electronic items work as some of them can be expensive to fix. This also goes for the aircon as it can cost around £1000 yo fix broken compressors etc.

The rusty front wings are a common issue on vag cars of this era and you'll need new wings unfortunately.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Ben!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your precious!

I have the same model and my first advice to anyone who buys one is to check the relay panel. Most of this models i've seen had 99% of the problems from that, to be more precise it might have some water in it and that will give you many errors and you'll end up changing parts that dont need to be changed. The dipstick problem: it's not really a vacuum issue, as much is a spilling issue; mine had some sort of "home craft" made by its former owner and during long trips it was spitting oil, but its like 5 pounds for the salvage yard and you wont have this issue again (i dont know for sure, but I think you can take one from a passat B 5.5 or Skoda Octavia, but again I am not 100% sure). I also bought a gorgeous black leather interior with door panels, all in very good condition, from a scrap yard for 80 quid lol (see picture :D)

Your plans sound good so far, we are waiting pictures to see the progress!!

Fingers crossed with the MOT and happy motoring!!!

27785870_1683598601703268_1250764973_o.jpg