Newbie advice needed on A4 2.0 TFSI

thad11

Hello all,

I am currently thinking about buying an A4 with the 2.0 TFSI engine, I am probably looking at 2005 models due to budget!

I currently have a 2002 Audi TT 225 in Imola Yellow with red leather, it has been described as an 'odd' combination to say the least!

I also have an E39 540i Sport which I adore and will never sell, my daily is a Saab 9-5 Aero 2006 Model which is what I am looking to replace. It's a great car someone has wriiten it off for me so I am just going through the insurance hassle now lol

Anyway on to my questions, I ideally want a 2.0TFSI Quattro but I appreciate they are a bit hard to find, I have driven a FWD 2.0 TFSI and to be honest I was underwhelmed by the power and the lack of traction in the damp etc I also like Auto but reading the horror stories on here about the cvt and dsg boxes that has put me off!

I know with the 2.0 TFSI TT you can fit the WALK kit which sorts out a lot of the understeer but I have not seen anything similar for the A4, is there anything?

I do a lot of driving at 5am in the morning and after midnight so things like headlights are important as well, the A4 I drove had xenons and was good but I have seen a few TFSI that have regular lights, are they any good?

Apart from the above I would be looking to increase the power with a remap and possible putting a bigger turbo on etc, what can the engine cope with power wise, I know the BAM engine TT will bend rods over 300 lb ft trq, is the 2.0 engine any better?

Thanks in advance for the replies! 

Hello Thaddeus, it certainly is an odd combination for your TT however the colour looks amazing! The e39 is a cracking BMW and no surprise it's a keeper! Best 5 series in my opinion :) 

The normal headlights are more than adequate in my opinion. 

With any car you're looking at, make sure all electronic items work as some of them can be expensive to fix. This includes the air con and headlights. If the car has xenons then make sure all likes work as bulbs can cost £180 approx each. 

Also as you are wanting a car with Quattro make sure it works correctly. The system can be sensitive and can even be damaged by uneven tyre wear. So make sure the tyres have the same wear on the same axle and ideally they should be the same make. 

If you are looking at a remap then you'll need to make sure the car is in good health. Also you'll have to contact your insurance company to let them know of the remap. (Sorry if I'm stating the obvious). It isn't just a case of what the engine can cope with but what the gearbox can cope with. 

I've found this YouTube video which may help: 

Also if you want Quattro and more power then it might be worth you looking at the a6 c6. Petrol engines are 2.0, 2.4, 3.2 and are all available with a manual gearbox and Quattro. this excludes the s6 and rs6 which runs on a Lamborghini v10 and is auto. 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve