a4 b8 handbrake

abell

hi all, I am about to replace my rear pads, I will be using a foxwell nt500 vag scanner, ive tried it beforehand to check if it works and it does but my question is can I turn the ignition off after winding back the motors or do leave it turned on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew, 

I've found these two YouTube videos which may help: 

However at a guess I'd say leave the ignition on because if you turn it off the car may try and put the electronic handbrake on automatically which it is designed to do. 

Sorry I can't help more. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Andrew,

I've not looked at the video, and no doubt it is going to be helpful. One additional tip I was given (correct or not??) - do not open the car door once you start this operation since the brake could apply. If it is correct, then it's probably more important to make sure no one else opens the door when you are working on it. You cannot buy new fingers! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

cheers lads , ive tried my my foxwell vag handset and it works fine, once the motors have wound back you need to wait 30 seconds and then turn off the ignition, the you can perform the pad replacement as usual. don't know anything about not opening the doors though !