Engine change

Retromonkey

Welcome to the forum Jamie, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

I'd find it very unlikely that the original gearbox will fit and I'd advise fitting the engine and gearbox out of the same doner car. 

How come are you changing the engine? 

cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. It failed its mot on  emissions and also has an oil leak. It’s going to be cheaper to get a new engine than fix this one not knowing what will will find. Plus the car is so heavy the engine just wasn’t good enough for it

9 hours ago, Retromonkey said:

Thanks Steve. It failed its mot on  emissions and also has an oil leak. It’s going to be cheaper to get a new engine than fix this one not knowing what will will find. Plus the car is so heavy the engine just wasn’t good enough for it

Oh dear, did the garage say what exactly is wrong? 

I think you'd have more luck finding another Audi engine from the same era if you want it to fit straight in. The mk2 Quattro springs to mind ;) 

The emissions are silly high and when they tried to bring it down it was no where near what it should be. 

i had thought about about it but not sure they will give as much power being an old one and the weight of the car

Hello Jamie,

By reading Steve's replies, I get the impression that this move is a little drastic without full knowledge of what issues there are with your current engine, and indeed the associate components. If so, I must agree. 

Of course, high emissions can be caused by actual engine wear, but it's more usual for such problems to be caused by so called external engine management components such as catalytic converters, general exhaust system conditions etc. In effect, you might find that you change the engine - with a like for like replacement - and your problem is still there. 

OK, so the 2 litre engine is considered underpowered ( didn't they do a 1.8 in this model!?) but to change it for a totally different one is likely to result in major surgery. Even if you buy a gearbox as well, you will need to fabricate a 'special' exhaust, and I would have thought that the whole engine management system would also need to be changed. Unless you are equipped to do this, the labour bill alone is possibly going to exceed the value of the car. Then, when you have spent that money, you will need to inform your insurers and be at their mercy with regard to what they are going to charge you - if they will insure it.

Alternative:- sell yours as a MOT failure and invest the realistic add-on amount to change the engine to an uprated one, and buy a replacement car.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 5 months later...