rear wiper

will anderson

Hi all. new to site , so hello. My rear wiper has stopped working, as has my boot gate switch . i noticed that the switch had water leaking through it just before it stopped working.

Any ideas on why the wiper has stopped working or better how to fix it , fuses all seem in tact .

thanks . Will

Welcome to the forum will, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

I believe when water starts to get in to the boot it gets into the wiper motor and eventually breaks it. Think you'll need a new motor to be honest. But it's worth you checking the wiring hasn't corroded which could have caused it to stop working. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Will,

I'm with Steve"s idea of checking the wiring first. Problems often arise ( particularly in the cold weather) with the flexible harness into the boot/tailgate getting brittle and wires can actually fracture. 

Of course, water and electrics should not be on the same recipe sheet, and the first port of call should be to try to find out where this is geting in. 

New bits?? Well always worth cleaning and checking before opening the wallet!

Kind regards,

Gareth.

On top of this I believe Audi did a recall for water ingress into the boot. Which included changing the rear window, seals and rear lights. But I'm unsure on the exact models affected and can't seem to find too much info about it. Sorry. 

Most Audi's... A6,A3A4 suffer from the pipe splitting on estates ..top left corner or on say A3's etc the O rings fail around wiper shaft....

On A6 estates and mine as this problem..make sure your mmi unit is not wet as this can course major problems...but luckily I managed to dry mine out and I do not use my rear washer now..I must get it fixed at some point..