Just about to collect a 2008 3.0tdi 242bhp

D3NN3RS

Hi new to the forum,

I’ve just persuaded the Mrs this is the car for us. It’s a 2008 135k 3.0tdi 242bhp. 2 owners last one for 8 years. Full history and in silver s line model.

im picking her up on Tuesday. I’ve been round the car and had a little spin. Any thing I should be looking out for? When do things like timing chains need replacing?

thanks 

Adam 

Welcome to the forum Adam, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

The Q7 is a lovely car and you've got a nice spec :) 

Hypothetically the timing chain should never need replacing as long as the car has been serviced as per the schedule. A rough running engine can be caused by a stretched timing chain and replacing it is an expensive job. 

As your Q7 has an automatic gearbox it's worth checking the gears are smooth both in manual and automation mode. On top of this it's worth checking the service history bro see when the gearbox oil was last changed. 

Obviously the Q7 has Quattro and as such it's important that this works correctly as the system can be sensitive and can even be damaged by mis-matched tyres on the same axle or uneven tyre wear. 

Here's a couple of YouTube videos which maybe useful:

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

Welcome to the forums:yahoo:

Nice friendly atmosphere here with plenty of Audi owners to help where they can.

Please be sure to give the forum rules a quick view

Paul

47 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum Adam, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

The Q7 is a lovely car and you've got a nice spec :) 

Hypothetically the timing chain should never need replacing as long as the car has been serviced as per the schedule. A rough running engine can be caused by a stretched timing chain and replacing it is an expensive job. 

As your Q7 has an automatic gearbox it's worth checking the gears are smooth both in manual and automation mode. On top of this it's worth checking the service history bro see when the gearbox oil was last changed. 

Obviously the Q7 has Quattro and as such it's important that this works correctly as the system can be sensitive and can even be damaged by mis-matched tyres on the same axle or uneven tyre wear. 

Here's a couple of YouTube videos which maybe useful:

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the welcome Steve! Two really helpful videos. One of the concerns my wife has, is the potential future issue with diesel cars. Do you have any thoughts on this also is it likely that they will increase the annual tax of these vehicles? Adam

42 minutes ago, Paul A6 said:

Welcome to the forums:yahoo:

Nice friendly atmosphere here with plenty of Audi owners to help where they can.

Please be sure to give the forum rules a quick view

Paul

Will do, Thanks

15 minutes ago, D3NN3RS said:

potential future issue with diesel cars

Have a read of this m8

April - New tax on diesel cars 

In April this year motorists with a diesel car will face a higher rate of tax. This applies to the first year of tax for diesel cars that fail the Real Driving Emissions 2 (RDE2) test.  

Tax is based on your car’s emissions. The higher the emissions, the higher the tax. This is part of the government scheme to improve air quality in the UK. 

The change mainly impacts diesel car drivers as their emissions are higher than petrol cars.

Just joined the Forum today. Waiting to pick up my 2011 38k A5 Sportback 3.0 this week . Have had an A3 in the past and my wife is on her second TT 2.0 TFSI now 11 years old and done 18000 mile ...yes the proverbial 'one lady owner' and it has had an annual service. Cant wait to pick up the A5 I test drove it for about an one hour and fell in love 

5 hours ago, D3NN3RS said:

Thanks for the welcome Steve! Two really helpful videos. One of the concerns my wife has, is the potential future issue with diesel cars. Do you have any thoughts on this also is it likely that they will increase the annual tax of these vehicles? Adam

Glad I could help :) 

Well I too have an old Audi diesel and even though the tax issue is a concern I feel it more likely that there will be a ban on old cars/ban on diesels from entering cities in the not too distant future. By which I mean 5-10 years I suspect. Before they bring in this type of ban you are more likely to have to pay hefty tolls to enter the cities. 

Cheers

Steve

5 hours ago, lesharles said:

Just joined the Forum today. Waiting to pick up my 2011 38k A5 Sportback 3.0 this week . Have had an A3 in the past and my wife is on her second TT 2.0 TFSI now 11 years old and done 18000 mile ...yes the proverbial 'one lady owner' and it has had an annual service. Cant wait to pick up the A5 I test drove it for about an one hour and fell in love 

Welcome to the forum Les, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

Nice to see you've had an interesting collection of Audi's :) 

Cheers

Steve