A5

bitemarx

Hi all, 

I'm not an Audi owner, yet. However, I'm keen to purchase a (used) A5 coupe/cabriolet in the next few months. Figured this would be a good place to get some insider info on what it's like ti live with these cars. One of my friends has owned two A5's: never had any complaints (but those cars were bought new).

Welcome to the forum Mukesh, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

What engine and gearbox option are you looking at and what age? 

Cheers

Steve

Thank you, Steve. 

I'm looking at 2.0L automatics. Willing to consider 2.7L engines too. I've searched autotrader and found a few cars, as well as on Facebook marketplace. The latter actually has a lovely looking A5 but mileage is 110,000 for asking price of £8300. Valuation sites tell me that the car should be priced around £7000, if I remember correctly. It's a 2009 reg. 

Well with the autos make sure the gears changes are smooth both in manual and auto modes. And it's worth.checking the service history to see when the gearbox oil was last changed. 

Some of the a5 models had quattro and this is a great system but make sure it is working correctly. The system can be sensitive and can be damaged by things such as mis-matched tyres on the same axle or uneven tyre wear. Also check the service history to see when thebquattro system.last had an oil change. 

Also xenon headlights were an extra and it's worth making sure all the lights work as bulbs can be £180 each approx.

Also there is currently a recall on certain a5 models due to a fire risk caused by the heating system. It's worth checking to see if this recall has been carried out. However you may find alot of a5 models are still waiting to be called for this recall.

Cheers

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 11:13 PM, Steve Q said:

Well with the autos make sure the gears changes are smooth both in manual and auto modes. And it's worth.checking the service history to see when the gearbox oil was last changed. 

Some of the a5 models had quattro and this is a great system but make sure it is working correctly. The system can be sensitive and can be damaged by things such as mis-matched tyres on the same axle or uneven tyre wear. Also check the service history to see when thebquattro system.last had an oil change. 

Also xenon headlights were an extra and it's worth making sure all the lights work as bulbs can be £180 each approx.

Also there is currently a recall on certain a5 models due to a fire risk caused by the heating system. It's worth checking to see if this recall has been carried out. However you may find alot of a5 models are still waiting to be called for this recall.

Cheers

Steve

Interesting point about the recalls. Thank you for the info, Steve.

I suppose I'll have to be patient, and make rigorous (including HPI) checks on the vehicles I view before deciding.

The search continues.....not helped by the fact that my buget is retricted to £6000 - £8000. :-/

3 hours ago, bitemarx said:

Interesting point about the recalls. Thank you for the info, Steve.

I suppose I'll have to be patient, and make rigorous (including HPI) checks on the vehicles I view before deciding.

The search continues.....not helped by the fact that my buget is retricted to £6000 - £8000. :-/

You're welcome, glad I could help :) 

Also with the 2.0 there is a known fault with the engine where by the pistons ate too small which results in oil to seep past them and has been known to destroy the engine! So make sure the recall has been done. This will involve new pistons and rings and in a worse case scenario a new engine. 

I'd say you'd be looking the top end if your budget for a reasonable a5 in my opinion.

Cheers

Steve