Thinking about a B8 A4 Avant. How old is too old?

redrook

As the title says, I'm looking to change in the near future to something more modern (current car is a 2004) and so far the A4 Avant is winning. It's FWD, manual and economical, which is what I want. However, the B8 started in 2008 did't it, so how old is too old in terms of spec? I could probably afford to go for about a 2010/11/12, depending on trim. Ideally I'd like S Line (I won't go back to cloth seats), and is there anything different in terms of the infotainment system that I should be aware of between the years? I'm just looking for something as modern as possible, but also don't want to get a 2012 necessarily, if a cheaper 2010 is identical. 

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum Ewan, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

my advice would be to go for the newest, lowest mileage car you can. Make sure it has full service history and make sure the car you're looking at has had the cambelt and water pump changed as it'll be due by now. 

heres a YouTube video which may be useful: 

cheers

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve, that's definitely a useful video. Good to know about the cambelt/pump too, as those alone would probably be £500 or so.

In terms of spec, did a whole lot change between the model years? I would say that an 08 is older than I'm looking to go for anyway.

You're welcome, glad I could help 🙂

Yea cambelt and water pump will be around £500 but.if the car you like needs this then it's worth you ringing around the local Audi dealers and independents to see who is cheaper. You may find certain Audi dealers ha e an offer on.to have the cambelt and water pump changed. 

Also I'm unsure if you're interested in getting a diesel or petrol. If diesel then be careful as the emissions recall has been known to affect the cars. Ideally get one that's not had the recall done and any owner that has had it done will have a certificate from Audi to say it's been done. If the car you're interested in is for sale shortly after the recall has been carried out then you have to ask why. Has it got eml on or egr problem etc. 

If you're looking at petrol then the 2.0 has been known to burn oil and the worse case scenario is that a new engine is required as it wrecks the pistons. 

The specs didn't really change between years that I'm aware of. 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks again Steve, good point about the recall, it hadn't occurred to me. Apparently quite a few people have experienced loss of performance etc. so will bear that in mind.

I'm looking for an estate to chuck a mountain bike in (I don't put bikes on the outside of the car for security reasons) so will the A4 suit this do you think? 

I was also considering a 2012+ A6, but am concerned about potential repair bills. I'm ok with the standard stuff even at Audi prices (servicing, brakes etc.) but a bit worried that the A6 wil contain things that could be very pricey to sort, unlike (I presume) the A4. Certainly I wouldn't get one without any kind of warranty, but still would like to avoid repairs. 

You're welcome 🙂

yea an a4 avant will take a bike but so will.the a6. They both have similar levels of electronics to be honest and naturally share engines and gearboxes etc. But with your budget you're more likely to find a newer a4/higher spec for your money compared to the a6 will mean you'll get an older car/less spec'd car or higher mileage car. 

cheers

Steve