Transmission won't reverse

bowline5

I've just bought an 02 plate  A4 2.4 SE Auto, it's in great shape and has a complete Audi history, but it will occasionally not select reverse gear. Diagnostics say the transmission travel sensor is faulty, does anyone know where I can get one without paying Audi parts prices?

1 hour ago, bowline5 said:

I've just bought an 02 plate  A4 2.4 SE Auto, it's in great shape and has a complete Audi history, but it will occasionally not select reverse gear. Diagnostics say the transmission travel sensor is faulty, does anyone know where I can get one without paying Audi parts prices?

Hey Derek, you could try eurocarparts. Also it's a long shot but could the a4 just require a gearbox oil change? I ask as the much later a6 c7 has been know not to change gears when the oil hasn't been changed on time. 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the thought Steve, it's not the oil level because the workshop topped it up with 250ml before I took it away. The sensor issue came up on the computer diagnostic test, no other fault codes, so that must be my first port of call to try and fix the problem.

3 minutes ago, bowline5 said:

Thanks for the thought Steve, it's not the oil level because the workshop topped it up with 250ml before I took it away. The sensor issue came up on the computer diagnostic test, no other fault codes, so that must be my first port of call to try and fix the problem.

Not a problem, just thought I'd suggest it 🙂

and I'd try eurocarparts 🙂

cheers

Steve

I've had some conversations with Audi workshops, they tell me the range sensor is built in to the TCM, which is built in to the gearbox, parts and labour would be most of £2000 which makes the car a scrapper. This all assumes that the techs at Audi are answering the right questions; the part number they've given me is for a multitronic CVT, which mine is not, it's a regular 6 speed semi-auto. How can I establish the gearbox type code? I read somewhere that the TCM is in the engine bay, under the winscreen scuttle, and some of the online images of a TCM show little more than a pcb in a sturdy casing that certainly don't look like they go inside a transmission. Any useable information would be most welcome.