Will engine oil additives fix leak due to piston ring worn?

Sashi

Hi,

Last week when I changed the spark plug I noticed little bit of oil on the spark plug threads only on cylinder 3 & 4.. I suspect the piston ring worn out or damage. 1& 2 cylinder are clean.

I'm thinking if I use some oil additives like Wynns Engine Stop Leak from - Halfords.

will it fix the issue? Any idea or suggestions? Anybody tried using additives?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Sashi,

To answer the broad brush question of whether oil 'additives' will fix your priblem, depends on what the details of the problem are, apart for some oil on the spark plug threads on nos. 3 & 4. 

Is the car using oil, and if so what quantity over what mileage? Does the car emit blue smoke at any time? 

If it does use some oil and if it pushes out blue smoke, you need to find out when it emits blue smoke.

Following a 10 mile run, rev the engine to a steady 2000rpm for at least two minutes and see if it pushes out blue smoke. If it does then it's likely to be worn piston rings, but other on-road tests would be necessary to really determine this. 

Next test is to let the engine idle (again after a 10 mile run) then quickly blip the accelerator and look for blue smoke. If it blows out smoke on this test, then it's more likely to be worn valve guides/ valve stem seals.

If you  have worn piston rings then I doubt whether any additive is going to be of much help. If it's worn valve stem seals then it may. These work on the principle of 'attacking' the rubber components in seals and making them swell, so really a bodge! , but....

Perhaps you can give us some more information. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth,

I tried to rev the engine to a steady 2000rpm  for at least two minute.. & also at @3000 I didn't see any smoke

When I blip & release.. I noticed White smoke..

While driving when I accelerate quick I can see some smoke.

May be @500miles <=1 liter

Will it fail the MOT?

Many thanks

Do you really believe an oil additive can fill the gaps between rings and cylinder walls? I certainly don't. If you look at Wynns website for this material its only specific claim is that it "Revitalizes rubber and neoprene seals of crankshaft, camshaft and valve stems." In other words it softens hard rubber to temporarily restore its ability to conform to metal surfaces. No other claim is specifically made, though much is implied by typical advertisers weasel words.

Don't be misled into thinking there is a magic cure for wear. Don't waste your money on the stuff. If your rings are worn your engine needs an overhaul, which years ago would mean a re-bore and over-size pistons. Nowadays it probably means a new engine.

However the diagnosis of worn rings may be pessimistic. I suggest you get a compression test done on the engine, which can help diagnose whether the bores or the valves are leaking. Getting valve leaks repaired is much cheaper than getting a re-bore.

Hello Sashi,

Am I understanding you correctly by believing you are using 1ltr of oil in 500 miles? (covering around 200 miles/pint in old English). 

If so, you will get through a 'sump full' in approx. 2500 miles - that is certainly excessive.

Can I take it you really don't have blue smoke after leaving this engine idle (with HOT oil) then briefly blipping the accelerator? 

'.....some smoke on acceleration....'    Colour? 

In my book, Cliff has this spot on. 

What cc engine do you have as a matter of interesting?

Will it pass an MOT???

Depends on smoke ( which by what you say it may satisfy) and if you have all that 'burnt' oil ending up down the exhaust I would guess it is unlikely to pass the HC emissions. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Mileage? When was oil and filter last changed ? Grade of oil you are using? 

Hello Gareth,

Yes I can't see any blue smoke, I can see the White smoke for a short time only when I release the Accelerator pedal from >5000rpm

My car is 2006MY Audi A3 8PA 2liter mileage 167000, oil  & filter change 1 month ago, Quantum longlife III 5W-30 Engine Oil.

I noticed a little bit of oil leakage on the right side of the engine, please see the attached picture, 

Thanks

Sasi

IMG_20180704_180309__01.jpg

I'm at a bit of a loss with this Sasi. With the excessive rate you are using oil and no evidence of it being burnt (blue smoke) is more than a a bit confusing. Diesel rather than petrol?

It might be worth pulling the dipstick up a bit with the engine running (with hot oil) to see if there is any blow-back fuming from the dipstick hole. Also worth checking the engine breather system is free and clean. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the reply, it's a petrol car. I took on the ramp and noticed there is a oil leakage.. I think it's from the valve gasket.any idea?

Thanks

Screenshot_20180709-200457.jpg

Screenshot_20180709-200442.jpg

Hi Gareth,

#### It might be worth pulling the dipstick up a bit with the engine running (with hot oil) to see if t here is any  blow-back fuming from the dipstick hole.####

Yes I can see fumes when I open dipstick also oil cover.

Why is it?

Hello Sashi,

'Why is it?' 

The crankcase is being pressurised by the compression gasses passing the pistons due to worn piston rings and/or cylinder bores. If so forget about any additive. 

It would be worth checking the engine breather system to ensure it is clean and free, then repeating the test.

Kind regards,

Gareth.