Something hanging off the bottom!

Me?

Hi all

So I have a 57 plate s-line, and in the 20 minute barrage of rain we got today (NW england) at about 6pm, I was joining the motorway. There was a massive puddle on the slip road, and I think I heard a clanking noise. Drove on for about 10 miles, heard absolutely nothing. However, I went over a speed bump and there was a definitive dragging sound. I stopped to have a look under the car, and there is a metal plate hanging off, in the middle of passenger and driver seats, so its unreachable just yet. It doesn't look very strong (maybe a heatshield?), and was dented (I assume from the the knocks it got as I went over the speed bumps). Anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm hoping it's something like a heatshield, so I can just rip it off (the dents look quite bad) and put a new one on, but as I can't reach it, I'll have to wait til I take it to a garage (probably monday now).

Edit: when travelling at 5mph+, it makes next to no sound on a normal road. However, when slowing down and going over speedbumps, it rattles quite a lot.

It could be one of your undertrays that's broken from it's mountings. I'd be getting this checked asap because if it comes off it could do.more damage to.yoir car or other cars if it comes off. 

Cheers

Steve

Yep, it was. The heat shield or something or other had come loose. New screws + bigger washers to hold it in place = job sorted.

On 7/30/2018 at 12:22 PM, Me? said:

Yep, it was. The heat shield or something or other had come loose. New screws + bigger washers to hold it in place = job sorted.

Glad you got sorted 🙂 to be fair they often come loose.