A4 2011 2.0d quattro will strugle/not start when down to half tank

alexandruarsine

Hi all

I have a problem with my car and looking for some advise please, my engine cut off couple weeks ago and will not start, I had the car towed to Audi and the said is contaminated fuel (water), solution being changing fuel line, high pressure pump, tank, injectors, sensors all this for £7500. The car probably worth £8000 in good working order (120 000 miles) so I took the car away, it did start it by pressing the acceleration, pulled in a Shell and fill up with V power (about half tank), car drove fine home, I had fuel filter changed next day, after couple of days when down to half tank it was struggling to start so I help it by accelerating, fill up again with Shell V power and this last part happened once again until today. I can`t understand how comes it works without any problems from full to half tank but dose not below. Also I did cut open the filter and it was clean, full service done with audi few months ago.

Thanks !

Welcome to the forum Alexandru, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

the key question is how has the fuel got contaminated and what tests did Audi perform to come to the conclusion that it was contaminated fuel with water?

Did Audi do a diagnostic check to see what fault codes came up?

It will be worth you taking it to an independent Audi garage to see what they advise. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Alexandru,

It would seem you have half a tank full of contaminated fuel - probably contaminated with water, which is heavier than the fuel so will stay at the bottom of the tank. 

The confusing part is that the pump should be continually drawing fuel from the lowest point - the bottom of the tank - so should be drawing up the contaminated fuel at all times, and at best, the car should perform badly at all times. 

Logic would suggest your best option is to have the tank completely drained. How this is done now, is a good question, since I understand there are anti syphon 'systems' and no drain plug, but.....

I too feel your best option would be to talk with a good independent , but insist the tank is drained ( then you can add some fresh fuel) before any other work is carried out. 

Perhaos you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi all, I did bought an OBD for about £13 and connect it, no cods coming up however on my way home today when I forced the car a bit and Malfunction light came up, on the OBD app  P0087 came on which stands for Fuel Rail/System pressure- too low, going to empty the tank and see what is in there also check the in tank pomp/sender somehow, just have a full time job bit far from home so not to much spare time 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 12:44 PM, alexandruarsine said:

Hi, I did had the tank empty and surprise diesel was clean no water in it, also changed the fuel pomp/sender. Car is back to normal with a cost around £500.

Won`t go back to that Audi dealer.

Glad you got sorted 🙂 and I do t blame you for not wanting to go back to that dealer!

Cheers

Steve