Which Tyres for 2016 S3 Saloon

Psaudi

The front tyres on my 16 plate S3 saloon are getting a bit skinny and I'll need to replace them soon.  So my question is whether to replace with a new set of the original spec. Continental SportContact 5Ps, or change to the newer Sport Contact 6Ps?  The rear types (also 5Ps) still have a reasonable amount of tread left on them.  If not Continentals, what other alternatives?

Phil

Hello Phil,

Our A3 is ten years older than yours and was fitted with Michelin from new. We continued using their 'updated' tyres for well over 100k, but I've just changed to Continental Contact 5 s, since I felt Michelin were getting noisier. Early days yet to assess the Continentals, but.....

Of course, you can consider alternative makes, but I tend to do/recommend what you are suggesting as your possible option, and stick with the originally fitted brands. Do you ever get the same mileage on replacements of the same brand?? 

If this decision was mine, I would stick with the 5s (which seem to be available at good value for money) rather than pander to the manufacturer's updates. I guess it depends on whether your normal driving style matches the need for the 'improvements' offered by the 6s.

Backs wearing slower. My scheme has been to replace the fronts and put the new on the fronts. When the rears need replacing, put the new pair on the front, and your (currently to be replaced) front ones on the back.

Sticking with brands fitted from new? I notice Mercedes Benz are now using Hankook on some of their cars,  which I thought were a mid range tyre. Times have changed? 

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Kind regards,

Gareth.