Audi Q7 no ignition or dash lights

Dave rave

Hi I was wondering if you guys can help shed some light.. I have an Audi Q7 abt 2006, basically it has been stood for a few months and the battery went flat so I replaced it because the old battery had gone but before I changed the battery it won’t start and can only get in the drivers door by key all the other doors are locked and can’t get them to open also the key won’t turn in the ignition even tho this key is coded for the car I had someone out to look at it and he said the only thing the car won’t do is speak to the ecu via the obd port do I need mobile vag com I’m not sure but the car was fine prior to being parked the only thing is the glove box won’t release can’t get to fuses on passenger door all other fuses seem fine key sticks in ignition and no lights and alarm is going and doors are dead locked no dash lights 

found this info not sure if it will help but worth a try:

The prime issue to note is that a poor / weak battery will cause this - I note whats been done in the battery area , so thats that.

What I want you to do now is, ensure the battery is fully charged, then , keys, out of the vehicle- remove the battery leads -and clamp the connector ends to each other. Tie with a wire if they wont reach each other - and leave like that for 30 mins. Then , disconnect them - leave off the battery for a further 30 mins - then re connect them to the battery. To explain, this is a re boot procedure for the control modules. If the system has just glitched, as they tend to - this procedure will usually sort it.

IF not - then Im afraid you have control module failure- there is just nothing more you can do in a Diy basis at that point Im afraid - it has to be connected to Audi diagnostic equipment to trace / id & sort the issue you have.. there is just no other way if you get to this point working through the above.. Im sorry if thats the case... I have seen this before.. there is just no other way then Im afraid.. It will need a new module which when fitted, has to be programmed to the vehicle using Audi equipment - so again, if you do get to this point, there is just nothing else you can do on a Diy basis - sadly, thats how its going these days -- 

So work through as above on this now - By all means get back to me if you need / wish to discuss it further... I hope the above does work for you -

I sincerely hope the above all helps you and helps with the understanding of the problem you have -and what needs to be done to cure this ...

Please feel free to get back to me if you need / wish to discuss this more ..( I will always get back to you as soon as I receive any reply you may send .. To reply to me, use the "reply to expert" tab or link... . Meantime, please do rate the answer I have given for you with the OK service or higher... for which I thank you in advance... as thats how Im credited for helping you ..

Again - feel free to get back to me at any time ...even if you need more help as time goes on - clicking the rating as above does not close you out.. Thank you again...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi I too am an Audi Q7 owner; my car battery a ts like it's dead,  i jump it and it starts right up.

But the key has got stuck in the ignition 1 time again i jumped it an it started right up.

Now i have gone out to see if it will start and i find several dash indicators  on but no key in the ignition .

What can i do about this ???

Q7 notorious for bad earthing - earthing strap from body to block  breaks down causing low battery symptoms. May or may not be your issue here but cheap fix if it is

Hello members

Hope you can help

My A6 2013 saloon is causing me problems, my dashboard computer and speedo binnacle have stopped working....after investigation I discovered water in the boot, the wiring loom that goes to the dc dc convertor was saturated and I am assuming water has entered the unit and damaged it.

The car still drives, lights still working.

I have sorted the water problem, unplugged the converter unit and the car is still the same, I am thinking therefore if I replace the unit..will it solve my issues, or will I still need to input codes.

Any feedback will be much appreciated 

Regards Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Hello  ? ,

Its unlikely your 13 year old vehicle is still running on its original battery, but you don’t tell us. 

‘..Am I only dealing with a bad battery’?

The only way of assessing whether the battery is serviceable - or not- is to get it tested. Anything else is simply assumption until that has been checked. Halfords should be able to test it for you. If it proves to be unserviceable then of course, they sell batteries, but I’ve seldom found them competitive on price.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am in the French mountains with my Q7 / 2007 - yes 14 years old but had all checked before leaving UK. Battery low but ok so driving 1200km should have charged it fully. After 6 days in the garage and driving down the mountain the instrument cluster starting switching off and on again. 

Also warning sign ABS and ESP signs came on. Car started to skid a little too. On the way back up again - within 30 min it switched off and on around 9 times. The moment I stopped it switched on and then back off again. The speedometer flicked up and down and the middle screen - driver information system went down completely. 

When I called my garage in UK they said it is likely the temperature difference as it is here minus 6 but it was parked and warm again showing plus 4. 

Can anybody help what the problem might be as I am rather concerned when I will leave driving back to UK in 10 days. 

Thank you and Merry Christmas. B