Navigation issues

MLC788

Hi all Happy Christmas btw.

So don’t use the sat nav a lot but wanted the map display on earlier so clicked on it and I’m getting no road display at all. If I zoom out to 10 miles it will begin to show local towns but my location is all blue. Also no destination or route guidance will work and says on dash that I’m off road. Also says no satellite signals being received. I have a 2013 SD card and not had any previous issues with it. Seems strange how my whole area is in blue and won’t load anymore.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You may want to check your GPS antenna connections and also Antenna condition- if you do not detect a minimum of 3 Sats then location is impossible to calculate 

Don’t mean to sound thick mate and appreciate your reply a great deal but how do I remove the antenna and check the condition? Also if it’s had it any idea on cost of replacement?

cheers

matt

Not thick at all. 

GPS receiver is normally the Shark Fin towards the rear of the roof of the car. 

Not a lot you can do to visually check condition. To remove it you will need to drop the headlining to get to the fittings. 

GPS Antennas are normally of "active" type so will have around 3VDC running up the core. May be a PITA but first check for me would be to check for 3VDC output on rear of MMI unit and also for any short circuit on antenna lead. 

I have no experience with Audi MMI so where this connects and the actual impedance / voltage of the Antenna I cannot confirm. 

I do not suppose there is a tracker blocker operating in the car?

No tracker blockers as far as I’m aware.

sounds beyond my expertise but after the new year will have a proper look, just had a baby as well so busy times lol.

will post back when had a look. Thank you for advice merry Christmas and happy new year

• 3 years later...

Hi. 
I have a 2015 A6 Avanti and had the same issue with the No Satellites.
Reading various posts, most recommended a new shark fin (aerial) but this was gonna be a big job chasing the GPS cable  around the car. 
My solution was to ping out your A/C unit. I used 2x plastic bike tyre levers, then unscrew the holding bolt on your media centre which is above the A/C unit. There are 2 x plugs either side of this unit that must be unplugged to allow access to the rear.
Unplug the old one GPS (blue) then plug the new GPS Ariel in & drop it at the back of the A/C unit as there is room for it.
The media & A/C units can then be put  back.
Hey Presto 9 satellites registered & all for 30 mins work & a £7.99 Active GPS Antenna from Amazon.  

Edited by Buttyboy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Buttyboy said:

Hi. 
I have a 2015 A6 Avanti and had the same issue with the No Satellites.
Reading various posts, most recommended a new shark fin (aerial) but this was gonna be a big job chasing the GPS cable  around the car. 
My solution was to ping out your A/C unit. I used 2x plastic bike tyre levers, then unscrew the holding bolt on your media centre which is above the A/C unit. There are 2 x plugs either side of this unit that must be unplugged to allow access to the rear.
Unplug the old one GPS (blue) then plug the new GPS Ariel in & drop it at the back of the A/C unit as there is room for it.
The media & A/C units can then be put  back.
Hey Presto 9 satellites registered & all for 30 mins work & a £7.99 Active GPS Antenna from Amazon.  

Glad you got it working again 😊