Oil Leak, PCV Valve?

Amoore

Hi guys, 

Recent owner of an Audi A3 1.6 Petrol, an oil consumption issue has arisen consuming 1L of oil per 800km.

No crazy blue smoke blowing out the exhaust so I think it's got to be a leak but there's nothing on the ground after it's been parked up.

I think there might be a leak near the oil filling cap as there's plenty of oil residue up there. I've cleaned it since the last top up and there was lots of oil up there again when the "low oil level" warning came on again today.

My question is, is there a PCV valve on this engine? And if there is, where is it? I can't seem to find the info anywhere on the internet. 

IMG_20181229_152213.thumb.jpg.a5dad8650089041088b5a833042868f7.jpg

Hello A ? 

The oil 'leak' you show is insignificant. 

Since as you say, you cannot see any evidence of a severe leak, then the engine must be burning it - at the phenomenal rate of about 275 miles to the pint in old English! 

'No crazy blue smoke out of the exhaust.....' Have you come to this conclusion by getting someone to follow you after a 5 mile warm up, and observing the exhaust during acceleration? Also, have you tested the exhaust smoke after leaving the engine idle for a couple/three minutes following a 5 mile run, then increasing the revs to around 2000 rpm. 

What grade and brand of oil are you using? 

Have you tried removing the oil filler cap and assessing the degree of back pressure ( of course being careful about hot oil splashes etc.)? 

As a matter of interest, what mileage has the car covered and what servicing history does it have?

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, 

There may be more to the leak than the picture. I'll have to investigate it fully in the daylight. 

And yes, if it's burning oil, it's at a very fast rate. I have observed the exhaust while having a friend put their foot down on the accelerator to about 2500 rpm after a 50 mile run and there was nothing from the exhaust. 

The oil in the car is 5w30 (unsure of the brand), oil consumption is new since replacing the thermostat and the car is getting up to temperature properly. 

Unsure of the back pressure, as I don't have the experience to know what's good or bad in this regard. 

There's about 90000 miles on the car. 

Hello A,

'........drops of oil coming out of the exhaust...' Strange!  Are you sure this is oil?

Try creating a puddle of water in line with the end of the exhaust. If it's oil drops then the drips will create a spectrum effect on the surface of the water. 

Back pressure from removed oil filter cap hole? If you can see oil fumes and experience any pressure then combustion gas pressure is where it shouldn't be. You can do the same type of test by partially removing to dip stick. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

A neighbour who has a petrol A3 had a similar ridiculously high oil consumption without any smoke or leaks. An independent VAG mechanic and garage owner told her there was a fault with some of these engines which Audi was reluctant to admit to that caused the oil loss. He acted on her behalf in taking the matter up with Audi and got the problem resolved. I don't know the details of the fault or how it was repaired but it cost a lot less than the new engine that Audi originally advised her was needed.

I am normally too sceptical to believe such conspiracy theories, but she is a sensible character and not easily deceived, so I give some credence to the story.

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately these engines are notorious for burning oil. At the motorway do you realise that there is a lot of whote smoke when you floor it. If yes, that os oil being burnt. By the way sorry I don’t know the answer about the pcv valve. 

The original poster doesn’t seem to have been on the forum since March, but it’s interesting to note that these 1.6 engines are notorious for burning oil. 

Incase it helps anyone, our over 150k miles 2006 -owned from new- doesn’t use any oil between annual oil changes. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Again incase it helps anyone else, white exhaust smoke (petrol engines) from fully up to temperature engines, translates to water vapour being burnt - not oil- in my book.  Burning engine oil will result in blue smoke. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

The original poster doesn’t seem to have been on the forum since March, but it’s interesting to note that these 1.6 engines are notorious for burning oil. 

Incase it helps anyone, our over 150k miles 2006 -owned from new- doesn’t use any oil between annual oil changes. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Again incase it helps anyone else, white exhaust smoke (petrol engines) from fully up to temperature engines, translates to water vapour being burnt - not oil- in my book.  Burning engine oil will result in blue smoke. 

Since owning my car, a 2010 Audi A3 1.6, i’ve had to refill the oil twice. First time i thought the owner didn’t bother filling it to the level, then the second time i took it to my mechanic I’ve used for 10+ years. He said that these engine tend to burn a lot of oil. (Could be some of them which are affected) so he told me if there was a blue smoke or a white smoke and i said there is a white smoke. He said white smoke could be the from the coolant or/and the engine oil.

regards

p.s. I’ve owned the car for 5 months 

• 1 month later...