A3 Timing Belt

Metalgaff

Hello Pete,

Re. why using Audi to service. 
To pay this 5K per year vehicle respect, at least the oil should be changed annually, and not every two years - low annual mileage vehicles get a hammering compared with high motorway mileage covered at optimum operating conditions. It would appear that you have the car set on a ‘ Longlife’ schedule where vehicles cover around 12K plus/an, rather than an annual service which is the most appropriate one for your mileage. 

Back to Cambelts:- if you are not concerned about belt failure within the next 16 years, then I wouldn’t be concerned about water pump failure either. If the WP is driven by the belt with your engine, then WP failure will wreck your engine, since the belt will jump. Don’t worry about the affect of the auxiliary belt failure either - I guess within the next 16 years also, although I would. 
The last paragraph is interesting -‘ extensive research, advanced technology’. No mention of marketing, who might just come up with ‘ what we lose on changing cambelts will be more more than compensated by total engine failure, resulting in scrappage and another vehicle having to be bought. Quids in with that one chaps! 
Anyway Pete - great danger of boring again.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, wasn't really sure whether to post in here or introduce myself as a new member. I'm in the process of helping my daughter to purchase an A3 TFSI 2014 and came across the site when trying to research the timing belt interval. I'm still confused!!! There are 2 threads I've looked at, this being one of them, I can't find the other one. From what I can gather the Audi UK's recommendation was every 5 years or 75,000 miles whichever came first. I phoned my local main dealer and was told it had changed to 140,000 miles, 86,991 in old money with no time interval specified. So the 2014 car I am looking at has 75,000 on the clock but hasn't had the timing belt changed. This makes me nervous! I think he's selling it because the timing belt change is due. Any advice would be gratefully received

Welcome Dawn-Marie, and thanks for posting. 
Nice to hear you are doing the homework before you commit to buy, and what you have been told was, and is correct. 
Incase it help, I intend to stick with the earlier 75k or 5 years - whichever comes first, since I just cannot understand the logic of an open ended time interval - except that it increases the risk  of another wrecked Audi, and the sale of another one!

If it were mine, I would be catering for replacing this now. 
Private sale? 
Have you seen evidence of the service history, checked the on-line MOT history, looked up the DVLA Vehicle Check to see when the last V5 was issued ( indication of owner change). Are you having the car independently checked before purchase? An Audi independent near to where the car is would be a good place to start. 
Last but certainly not least - I’m not sure if the 2014 TFSI engine was still within the range of model years which could be affected by the dreaded high oil consumption issue ( possibly up to 2015??). 
Stevey Y on here will be far more knowledgeable than I’m on this, so worth sending him a PM to see if he can help. 
Good luck, and kind regards,

Gareth. 

5 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Welcome Dawn-Marie, and thanks for posting. 
Nice to hear you are doing the homework before you commit to buy, and what you have been told was, and is correct. 
Incase it help, I intend to stick with the earlier 75k or 5 years - whichever comes first, since I just cannot understand the logic of an open ended time interval - except that it increases the risk  of another wrecked Audi, and the sale of another one!

If it were mine, I would be catering for replacing this now. 
Private sale? 
Have you seen evidence of the service history, checked the on-line MOT history, looked up the DVLA Vehicle Check to see when the last V5 was issued ( indication of owner change). Are you having the car independently checked before purchase? An Audi independent near to where the car is would be a good place to start. 
Last but certainly not least - I’m not sure if the 2014 TFSI engine was still within the range of model years which could be affected by the dreaded high oil consumption issue ( possibly up to 2015??). 
Stevey Y on here will be far more knowledgeable than I’m on this, so worth sending him a PM to see if he can help. 
Good luck, and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, and thank you for the warm welcome. 

I tend to agree with you regarding the original 5 years/75,000 miles from all the research online and people I've spoken to. It is after all a rubber part and rubber deteriorates.

Yes it's a private sale. I have checked the MoT history online and the only advisories have been tyres. The DVLA vehicle check states the last change of ownership was September 2022, so the current, (second) owner has had the vehicle for about 18 months. It's been garaged for the last month as he now has another car. It was advertised with MoT until June 2024, so I asked for a new MoT to be put on it. At first he added another £200 to the asking price for MoT and service but dropped the increase when I mentioned the cam belt. Therefore I wasn't intending to have it independently checked before purchase as the service/MoT should highlight most things. It is in immaculate condition, but he kept banging on about how well looked after it had been by the previous owner and himself. Given that the Audi UK guidance was 5 years/75,000 when it was manufactured, I would consider at least 1 cam belt change would be part of that care.

Given the condition, in the photos, as viewing isn't due to happen until next week, the FSH and relatively low mileage I still feel £8,000 is overpriced, particularly when taking the lack of cam belt change into consideration. Any thoughts?  (I'm expecting you to say it's overpriced btw but I do live in the south of the country so prices are a bit higher than elsewhere).

Not heard about the high oil consumption issue but don't think she could stretch to buying a 2015 model.

Sorry if I'm going on a bit, I just want to give my daughter the right advice

Hello Dawn-Marie, 

Since this is a private sale, you can obviously kiss goodbye to any warranty or come back. 
‘Banging on about how well looked after it’s been…..’ Sounds salesmanish to me! If it’s that good, why is he selling it!? 
I take it you have requested and seen the evidence of its service history, and you are happy it is as comprehensive as the seller makes out. 
Garaged for the last month:- so can we take it it’s now on SORN, you will not be able to road test it , and you will be buying it simply ‘as seen and without trial’ -? 
£8,000 for a 10 year old 75K A3 being sold privately would seem to be in orbit territory to me - in fact oh blinking heck, to be polite, but I’m open to correcting on this. 
Can we take it you have checked out the valuation on Parker’s for example, to confirm what you are about to buy, is indeed sensibly priced? 
Re. Independent inspection:- ‘ only just been serviced …’ would not cut it with me as a reason not to have it independently inspected - serviced, may simply equate to an oil and filter change. Obviously your choice, but…

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi again Gareth,

Yes private sale would mean no warranty, which is I asked about the cambelt.

Yes, I thought the same about him pushing how well it had been looked after. When I asked why he was selling he said the car he'd just bought was going for a steal.  It just feels like something isn't quite right, which is why I wanted to run it past you guys.

No I haven't seen the service history, but did say I would want to see that when I go to view and any invoices.

I don't think it is SORN'd, he's trying to sell it and wouldn't get much back from the £35 tax. I wouldn't buy a car without driving it, well my daughter would.

I did look on Parker's but the price was based on 110,000 miles. I was going by this but there wasn't an option for mileage Audi A3 2014 1.4 Manual Petrol Sport TFSI Used Price Guide and Free Car Valuation | New & Used | Price Any Car I have looked at lots of cars and it's a bit on the high side tbh.

It's being serviced and MoT'd on Tuesday but as you say that could only be an interim service, which is why I wanted sight of the service book(s), etc

How would I go about getting an independent valuation? and how much would it cost. I take it they would come with me to view it?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Dawn

Thanks again Dawn,

The DVLA vehicle check will confirm whether it’s on SORN or not, but the all important aspect is if it is showing on the AskMid  insurance database - you can check that out. 
Your average private owner would either have to have a ‘spare’ NCB to make it economical to retain insurance on the old car, once he insures the new car, or would need to take out a temporary additional cover, so it doesn’t necessarily follow that because it isn’t showing as SORN, that it is actually insured. 
If I were in your situation, I would most certainly be requesting e-mailed copy of the service history before going to view it. It’s surprising how full service history can disappear into the ether once the evidence is ask for. 
Re valuation:- what was the private sale value for the same model and year for the 111K mileage? 
Again, I don’t want to influence you, but it’s been often quoted that (as you say)…’ something doesn’t seem quite right..’ it usually isn’t. 
Independent inspection:- search Audi independents in the area the car is for sale at, and have a chat with them about inspecting the car prior to purchase. The seller’s reaction might be interesting! They might also assist with a reasonable valuation. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for all your advice Gareth, I really appreciate it.

I did check the DVLA site and it said taxed and MoT'd. Good call with AskMiD, it's not insured. Thought it was odd when he hesitantly asked if I'd want to test drive it, now I know why.

Didn't think of asking for the service history to be emailed to  me, think I might do that. The valuation for 110,000 miles is £4,345 - £5,475 but I'd have to pay to input the mileage and condition. Mmm. There was another car, same year and model, that was asking £7,995 with 79,500 on the clock, claiming FSH and listing mileages for services, so I thought it was comparable. When I mentioned the cambelt he suggested negotiating on the price but I didn't pursue it, because the cambelt hadn't been changed and being 80 miles away I didn't want the risk of driving it back.

I would love to turn up with an Audi independent for an inspection and see his reaction! I will look for one and ring for a chat after the holiday.

Kind regards,

Dawn

Thanks for the update Dawn,

Upshot is that you cannot take this car on the road, since it isn’t insured. Dealers could, since they would have motor trade insurance. Naughty to have it taxed and not insured - guess he will have an alert from DVLA soon! Of course, you can tax a vehicle, as long as it has an MOT, if applicable, and you no longer need to present insurance cover at the time of taxing. 
Price:- I would think your £8K would buy you a 2015, and roughly add about £1K to the Parker’s guide price for this lower mileage example, so my belief is that this car is indeed overpriced - by some! 
Private sales are fine, if you know the car and the seller, otherwise you take risks with the unknown, and little room for any come back. 
If I was in your situation, I think I would favour buying from a trusted dealer, where you have a warranty. Having said that, I would always advocate spending on an independent inspection before committing. 
Always ( in bold caps) request e-mailed copy of service history before viewing. 
Good luck with your search.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

It could be test driven if we got temporary insurance. It's taxed until October 2024 and the original MoT runs out end of June 2024, which is why I asked for a new one.

Further update, I think I put the wrong model in Parker's 🙄the valuation for 110,000 is £4,900-£6,180 with up to 30% variance for mileage & options. So I paid for the custom valuation and in good condition it said £7,680, which isn't that much below what he's asking.

Thanks, good advice.

Kind regards,

Dawn

Edited by Dawn

Thanks again Dawn,

£7680 as a private sale price, or a dealer price? 
Yes, of course you could take out temporary insurance cover - at your expense - but you could well have ended driving this car without insurance, if you hadn’t checked Askmid! 
I guess it’s over to you now - buy, or not to buy?? 
Perhaps you could let us know what you decide Dawn. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

£7680 private, £8130 independent dealer, £8990 franchised dealer. That's true, he could've said!  I did ask him to send me MoT & service history, but that won't be until Tuesday as he's away working, which is before we had arranged to view, if we do. Still mulling it over atm. I will let you know what we decide.                  Kind regards,

Dawn

• Like 1

Hi Gareth,

Just to let you know we decided against buying the car as when it was put through an MoT the rear tyres would have needed replacing soon adding to the cost. 

Since first contacting you on this site I've looked at a number of other cars and it has really helped to be able to check out the details, so thanks for all the information on which sites to use.

I got a quote from my local garage, using the number plate, for replacement of the cambelt, using a Gates kit (£379.20) and replacement of the water pump, using genuine Audi parts (£393.60), which the garage also recommended. A total of £772.80. They did explain that for this model the cambelt and water pump are on opposite sides of the engine, so it's in effect 2 separate jobs. I've seen quotes for less, so wanted to run it past you guys. Wasn't sure whether living in the south of the country had that much of an impact on prices. 

Any thoughts or comments would be helpful.

Kind regards,

Dawn

Edited by Dawn