A3 rumbling/rubbing noise from front wheel area

mike graham

Hi all

Having trouble with a 2006 A3, turning left underload the loud rumbling/rubbing sound appears to come from the O/S/F wheel area, had new tyres and driveshaft fitted but still does it, although sometimes its hardly noticable, then I'll try turning fairly hard or quickly again and it sounds like the wheel is coming off, very odd! I own a garage and my mechanic is scratching his head, has anyone resolved this? Thinking wheel bearing under the load now but all seems tight and no play in the wheel or whirring noise etc, strange thing is if I depress the clutch or put it in neutral when turning hard at say 40mph for example the loud rumbling quickly disappears so only really doing it under power! Please help very annoying! Mike

• 4 weeks later...

The dependence of the noise on the amount of load suggests to me the CV joints, but we have seen similar mysterious reports that have had no reported solution.

(Sorry about embedding the topic. I tried to to put only a link but the forum would not allow it.)

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/2020 at 12:24 AM, mike graham said:

Hi all

Having trouble with a 2006 A3, turning left underload the loud rumbling/rubbing sound appears to come from the O/S/F wheel area, had new tyres and driveshaft fitted but still does it, although sometimes its hardly noticable, then I'll try turning fairly hard or quickly again and it sounds like the wheel is coming off, very odd! I own a garage and my mechanic is scratching his head, has anyone resolved this? Thinking wheel bearing under the load now but all seems tight and no play in the wheel or whirring noise etc, strange thing is if I depress the clutch or put it in neutral when turning hard at say 40mph for example the loud rumbling quickly disappears so only really doing it under power! Please help very annoying! Mike

hi, 2005 Audi A3 1,4 TFSI COD with 97000km and I have been heavily struggling to find reason for ”rubbing” ”noise from front of the car when turning to left. Noise is gone when driving straight or turning right. I have changed myself: front wheel bearings, left driveshaft and left top strut bearing… these were not a solution. Car is at the moment (2.11.2021) in our local Audi dealer workshop for gearbox check… I got today information, gearbox is disassembled… differential and it’s bearings are damaged… RCA found!

They have repaired ”few” (as they said) similar cases during past years… I have a strong feeling that this is a quite common issue on these cars. Repair cost estimate is now 3000eur, let’s see where we land in the end.

Juha