Audi A3 Sportback - Help need advise on dealing with Dealer/Warranty

joe-the-chef

Hi New so sorry for joining to ask for help/Advice - but difficult to get good advice for this type of thing.

Anyway my A3 had a big breakdown a few weeks ago, luckily still under warranty and with Audi Assist - so on Day AA and Enterprise did brilliantly getting me home and sorting a courtesy car out same day, of course both still working like myself during Covid lockdown.

AA on day said my Hydraulics had gone on my Clutch as the breakdown was quick car telling my to change into every other gear even though I was on Motorway at 70 very odd then just dries with the clutch pedal firmly collapsing down right against the floor, there had been none of the normal signs a clutch was going slipping/ smell / bad gear changing etc. and car only was 27k miles.

So on to finally getting to Audi yesterday when they reopened - I received a call from the manager asking me to saution 5 hours work at a possible cost of £780 just to take off the gear box so they can advise if its the hydraulics or clutch as I would need to pay if the clutch.

So my questions are can it possibly take Audi 5 hours to check the problem ? is it right they ask me to possibly pay before even diagnosing the problem and of course are they simply trying to get out of paying to fix a fault under warranty by blaming the Clutch and my driving style (I normally get over 50k at least out of a clutch)

Big thanks for any advice Joe

Removal of a gearbox can be a big job depending on what model of car it is. I bet they're playing it safe mind. 

A clutch shouldnt go at 27k under normal driving conditions. If the pedal has gone to the floor then I'd agree with the AA diagnosis. 

What I'll suspect they'll do if they find it's the hydraulic system, replace the relevant part under then try and get you to pay for a new clutch. 

As it's under warranty this should be changed anyway as there would be no point fitting a used clutch but Audi should pay this. 

I'd wait to see what they come back and say the problem is. 

Also I trust you have a copy of the AA report as evidence if required?

Cheers

Steve

Hello Joe,

What month in 2017 was this car first registered and how long have you owned it? 

Yes, sounds like hydraulics (slave cylinder/release bearing) failure, but you are at their mercy regarding the diagnosis on strip down. You could request an independent inspection (AA?) at the time the gearbox is removed. 

‘.....I normally get over 50K at least out of a clutch...’ - Not meaning to be blunt, but that sounds as if you are a bit heavy on clutches - well over 100k would be totally realistic on average, before a clutch assembly (exc. modern slave arrangements) wears to a point of change. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.