A6 non starter

DCLA2304

Jumped into car Saturday MMI and radio came on, no lights on dash would not start on button or key and locked in park. Battery 6 months old but took back to Halfords who exchanged it. Fitted and same issue.Today no power at all so something is draining the battery, any ideas?

Hello David from the Homeland,

You have to give us a bit more detail to go on.

’Fitted same issue’. Does this mean it will not start even when a new battery has just been fitted? Or do you mean it does not start say after you leave it overnight? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, Thanks for replying.

When i fitted the new battery on saturday the same problem,radio,MMI lights etc worked but no start up sequence on main instrument display when pressing start button or using the key. Went out to the car today and no power whatsoever so something is draining the battery?

Regards,

David

Hello David,

It’s probably me not understanding,  but could you confirm that you were unable to start the car immediately after fitting the new battery.

If so, that set of symptoms is unlikely to be associated with the battery losing power when not in use - i.e. when something is draining the battery. 

Sounds like you might have two sets of issues here. 

Have you tried disconnecting the negative connection onto the battery and then observing any significant sparking when you reconnect it? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

I did not check the negative connection to see if sparked as it was brand new now totally flat and i was not able to start immediately when it was fitted (exactly the same issues)

Regards,

David

Sorry David, but it’s highly unlikely that a new battery would be flat at the point of fitting. 

Back to my original suggestion:- potentially you have two problems here, one a starting issue on fitting a new battery, and/or a substantial ‘short’ or battery drain. 

Suggest investing in an hour’s services of a trusted local auto electrician.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

i had already arranged for a spark to come out. plugged in and car did not recognise my key, he priced with a well know Audi trade supplier £780 for new ignition lock, he found on eBay repair kits(micro switches and relay) £45-£85. Hopefully the cheaper option will fix the problem, Key is currently working.

Thanks for the advice

David

• Like 1