towbar advice

audi998

I want to fit a towbar to my 2017 B9 A4 tfsi.  It will be used predominantly for trailer trips to the dumpit site, possibly my dinghy and to carry a bike. We are considering buying a touring caravan, so I will probably opt for 13 pin electrics.

However, I'm undecided what type to get. I've done a lot of research, as usual and I'm having doubts about a detachable swan neck, which was my initial choice. i have read about at least one total failure (probably a rare occurrence), but many people who have problems with the detachable part locking or failing to lock. Some had to cancel trips. I also have read about some needing several replacements due to a degree of play developing in the socket. I really want to keep life simple and avoid any hassle. I want a swan neck of some description because I believe they are compatible with the common Alko caravan stabilisers, in case we decide to get a caravan. I have a back issue, worse some days than others, and I don't fancy wrestling with a detachable.

Sorry about the verbose nature of this thread, but my questions are

1. Does anyone have a fixed swan neck towbar on their a4 avant, and if so, does it affect the rear parking sensors?

2. Is it possible to remove the towball section on a fixed swan neck towbar, and does it make it less obtrusive / less likely to bark our shins on 

3. Any recommendations on towbars?

I'd be grateful for any feedback

I personally have had both a detachable swan neck and now a fixed towbar on my a6. Detachable was changed after a rear end shunt. 

To be honest it never ended up being detached but both the swan neck and fixed have both coped towing race car trailers without issues. Swan neck is obviously less likely to affect parking sensors and is nicer looking. On a fixed one you can't remove the tow ball, or you couldn't on the one I had. Think it was a witter one.  Here is a review of all main types of towbars which might be useful: 

https://autoevoke.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8998-types-of-tow-bars/

Cheers

Steve