Stop/Start causing EML fault

Lynx

Hey guys!

Last week I was sitting in some traffic with stop/start enabled, engine was off due to being in stationary traffic. I got a notification on the dash screen saying "stop/start disabled, please manually restart engine" - So, I pushed clutch down to restart engine, and when the engine restarted, the engine management light came on. Stayed on for a few days and booked it in to go to Audi for a diagnostic. Decided to fill the car up incase they needed to take it for a test drive, and this is where it gets odd (but in a good way for my wallet)

As I pulled onto the forecourt, there was a queue for the pumps, and I forgot to disable S/S so the engine went off while not moving, as soon as I pressed clutch down and the engine restarted, the EML went off and hasn't come back on since. Audi also had to cancel my appointment due to staff levels, thus saving me the diagnostic charge.

Is this a known thing where the EML comes on if stop/start doesn't cycle properly? I'm guessing when it popped up with manually restart engine, and the engine wasn't manually restarted as the car did it anyway, this caused some form of temporary fault to log itself? Very strange, considering the car didn't go into limp mode, still drove normally and didn't feel any different than usual. My old VXR was really melodramatic with the EML and would force itself into limp mode and be otherwise vindictive so this one struck me as quite odd lol

It's good you've got it booked into Audi. Ease can you advise what engine you have? 

If diesel it could be a failing dpf or EGR maybe. 

Also it might be worth having your battery checked as it is now 6 years old if it's the original ad might be on its way out. The S/S obviously requires the battery abd if that's failing then it could through up the eml light. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Tom,

As Steve says - get the battery efficiency checked, since it’s probably now at the end of its stop/start life. 

OK, booking in to Audi is one way, but it may offend your wallet, particularly since their battery cost ( if needed) will considerably exceed the cost of a comparable premium brand battery purchased on line.

Kind regards,

Gareth.