AUDI Q5 TFSI-E - Rejection - HYBRID - issues please read

PNA12

Wanting to share my experience to date of owning a new Q5 TFSI-E Hybrid that we purchased in January 2020, hopefully people will read below, and make up their own mind before purchasing one.

• Purchased Jan 2020
  • March 2020   1020 miles Breakdown “electrical drive system failure” unable to move vehicle. Vehicle recovered by lorry and returned to dealer.
  • March - June - Awaiting replacement Hybrid switch module, + COVID shutdown
  • June - Collect car
  • July   2100 miles Car has moment “ Drive system fault” this clears and car is ok – reported to Dealer  response from overseeing mechanic “Strange not something I’ve come across before especially with that given situation. Possible just a glitch in the system, please monitor” 
  • Mid-July  2456miles  Car breaks down again “electrical drive system failure” unable to move vehicle. Audi Assist attend at site & manage to get vehicle moving, follows me home. Recovered to audi dealer.
  • Late July-Response from Dealer , stating software update carried out that “Hopefully” fixes it, & if it were to happen again they would push the brand for help with either a refund or replacement.
  • Sought confirmation of the meaning of "hopefully fixes it"  
  • Offered Goodwill gesture as "full and final settlement"  - We rejected it,  and moved to an alternative suggestion as below..

After the second failure & subsequent discussions, the car has been at the garage since June. I have now formally rejected the vehicle as not fit for purpose.
IMO this model has an issue within the hybrid system / software. The dealer has admitted that there was not a fix at the time of our discussion, Audi are working on it. We were offered a “goodwill” gesture as “full and final settlement” Which we rejected as it would take away our right to reject the car in the future if this failure keeps happening. Having sought legal advice we tried to come up with a compromise as below

I.e :- await fix, run a required mileage circa 5-10k and then agree a goodwill once the vehicle had proved itself and re-installed confidence. The dealer/Audi rejected the various proposals.
So now we are potentially left with the consequential losses, as the the dealer/Audi absolve themselves from these through their T&C’s.

Update – Have now received a refund, but we are still landed with the other expenses outside of the Audi invoice, - finance settlement costs (Own finance), towbar removal etc due to the above.

My opinion Avoid Avoid Avoid !

• 1 month later...

Ineresting we have hybrid q5 , our electric range now only 21 miles , new it was 26 . Thankfully no issues but they tell us range dimishes with colder climate , it was 17 degees in Suffolk today ! . Very disappointed in the car 

• 2 years later...

My Q5e has this known issue with hybrid mode and will stop running.  I can't understand why Audi won't take it back.  They know this is an issue, they acknowledge they don't have a fix.  How do I get them to refund my money and take this car back.  It's not safe to drive.

Hello Sheena,

Many thanks for joining, and sorry to hear of your discontent. 
I think the fact that you are asking how to reject this car, possibly has some bearing on why they aren’t actually doing that. 
As I see it you urgently need to employ professional legal assistance with this - it seems it’s not a DIY procedure for you.  
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression at the USA were streets ahead in sorting out legal fairness.

Perhaps you would let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 month later...

I am a 6 month owner of a 2020 Q5 TFSI.  I am having same problem as Paul, PNA12.  I have owned my 2020 6 mo with dealer warranty.  I have now had three episodes of immobilization in a parking spot with annunciator indicating "Drive System: Malfunction!"  These down times would last 24-48 hrs and resolve spontaneously.  Similar responses from dealer thus far, "software update done, no faults found", etc.  Unfortunately the problem resolves itself before the dealer ever sees it.  I have not needed a tow yet, but for this 3rd event I am 1500 miles from home and hoping an overnight rest will do the job.  Big expensive headache if not.  Would love to hear Paul's resolution.

Hello David,

I could be wrong, but I don’t think you would now be able to formally reject it ( after 6 months), but if I was in your situation I would certainly be taking appropriate legal advice on that without further delay - you could start with the CAB. There may be a consideration to reject it, based on the date you first notified the dealer, and the fact that they have failed to efficiently solve the issue, even though you have given them opportunity and time to do so. 
It might be worth sending Paul a PM, since he hasn’t been on here for over 2 years - but I wouldn’t be awaiting his reply before starting to seek advice. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.