Most Important (Expensive) service items

yakdriver

Hi All. 

Looking at an A6 allroad 2015 with 130k+ miles.

I quite like the fact that it's a high miler as I do a relatively small milage so getting a lot of car for the cash.. however I would really appreciate any input on what are the really important service items that should have been done or will be coming due soon. The seller claims a full Audi SH, so I'll be checking this... but personal experience is very welcome!

Cheers

Rob

When I purchased my Allroad (2014 model) I was strongly advise to make sure the gearbox oil changes had all been done on time, as the gearbox failure rate increases rapidly if the oil is not changed.

I think Nigel makes a good point, particularly since manufactures seldom suggest service intervals for this, and leasing companies (I guess it was originally a lease car) being leasing companies, are averse to spending on any non scheduled maintenance. 

A couple of general questions/ suggestions:- 

High mileage is fine in my book too, but what do you know about the history of ownership of this car? 

Ex lease (direct) are generally OK (except expect to find a mix of tyres on the tyre) - they just don’t care about such things, but 5 years on lease sounds unlikely, unless it has also been used as a pool car via lease extension. To me, it’s history (as seen rather than what you are told) would be all important to me. 

Are you buying this within reasonable distance of your home? If not, then in practical terms you can generally kiss good bye to the practicalities of the seller arranging any warranty work. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth - - car is 3 hrs away, not from a "proper" dealer so any warranty work is iffy. History seems to tally but my research has suggested that the air suspension repairs can bring tears to a Scotsman's wallet. all in all I think it's best to leave this for another day!

Hello Rob, 

Thanks for coming back. Yes, 3 hrs away sounds simply impractical to benefit from any warranty. 

Its unlikely that you will find any over 5 year old model for sale at a main dealer.

Air suspension? The main problem area is generally the compressor (at least with non-Audi’s) and is seldom difficult to sort out. I’m probably suggesting keeping an open mind and doing some homework, rather than being too frightened - full stop. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy, but my (old fashioned) approach is to attempt to spend your money in your locality, and only part with your hard-earned to nice people. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.