oil change

pianoleon

After only driving 3000 miles since the last service due to C19 restrictions my garage agrees that a full service is not necessary but I am thinking perhaps I should at least change the oil. My A3 plug in hybrid has been doing most  journeys on electric. Is it advisable to change the oil anyway. A recent MOT at my regular garage would have flagged any other mechanical problems. 

I have no knowledge of hybrid vehicles, so I ask if the electric motor transmits its power through the engine or gearbox. If no, then I see no logical reason to change the oil. However I am happy to be enlightened by anybody with real knowledge.

Compared to decades of experience on standard cars the long term effects of hybrid use on their engines is as yet less well known. 

There are opposing schools of thought re oil changes... some folks say as the engines are only running or producing power part time there is less wear so they should go greater mileages between oil changes. But the other view is with their engines starting up for short periods now and again through some journey profiles they need more frequent oil changes previously associated with short journey cars. There are special oils for Hybrids being developed to account for this use.

But the deciding factor should be the information given in your handbook together with an Audi dealer's current advice... as long as you trust the receptionist is giving good advice.

Hello Derek,

For ‘.....my garage.....’ should we read this as not being a main dealer or an Audi independent?

If it were mine, I’d be asking myself - can I afford an oil and filter change, and if so, I would be tempted to get it done, since it is not really a waste of money, as David DTi points out with short engine use journeys - never the best operating conditions. The only caveat I would add (if not main dealer or independent) would be to ensure whoever does it uses a recognised good branded oil and filter. If that isn’t the case, then there would be a case for not changing it if quality parts were used at the last service. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.