Car sluggish and doesn't pick up when first started.

AudiOwnerGroup

I have had this problem quite recently. I have a 2010 Audi Sportsback 2.0 TDI and when the car is first started after being stood all night it seems very sluggish for the 5 mins whilst driving. There seems to be a lack of acceleration, after about 5 mins when it warms up it seems OK. Is this a common problem and anything to worry about and will it get worse over time?

Any advice appreciated.

Chris, you said you had this problem recently. Do you mean it occurred recently but was previously OK? If so, that suggests a fault with perhaps the temperature sensor or the ECU, or maybe the mass flow meter is seizing.

I have a 2007 2.0 TDI, and while it is cold there is a very marginal reduction in power for a few minutes, but it is no more of a reduction than I would expect from thick oil and tight clearances, and certainly could not be described as sluggish.

Thanks for reply Clifford. I have had the car since July and never really noticed it until recently, I suppose since it has got a bit colder thats why I thought it might be related. I'll mention it to the mechanic on Friday when it goes in for another problem.