Stop and start function on A3

AudiOwnerGroup

I have had 2010 A3 2.0 TDI since July and since then the stop and start function has never worked. It has a button on the controls to press to disable it, but it the function doesn't work even without the button being pressed. There is also a stop and search icon on the dash which comes up with a line through it indicating that its off.

I have found out I need a new battery and the one fitted is a stop and start battery. 

Couple of questions, if the stop and start function isn't working can I just get a normal battery (a lot cheaper), also how do I get the the stop and start working if it is at all needed?

Hello Chris,

You have to have the correct AGM battery for your car - if that is what is specified. If you don’t, you will save money in the short term, short being the operative word since the saving you will make by fitting an old style battery, will pale into insignificance when you find you will require a new alternator! 

Where are you looking for a replacement battery?

Buying cheap with these things is false economy, and personally, I only buy Varta/Bosch with their grade of a minimum of 4 years warranty. On line suppliers include Battery Megastore, Tanya, Plymouth Batteries (there are more) and all do mail order. Just search for the most competitive price from a reliable supplier. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.