Can't get into my car!

chris424uk

Hi guys, I have an Audi A5 Coupe TFSI 2.0 (2009) model. I've had a long running list of problems with doors, windows, alarms and central locking.

First it started with my passenger door not opening, intermittently in winter and now permanently not opening (no click when using the handle - almost as if it's disengaged). Recently, my driver door has started doing the same during the winter, which I've hardly used it due to lock-down and now that won't open too. My passenger electric window also failed a while ago and won't stay up - I need to physically pull it up and even then it's a couple centimetre open at all times. Anyway, my car alarm has now started going off randomly and last night it wouldn't respond to the key fob (no flashing lights, just alarm beeps) and thankfully it eventually went off itself. I believe this was because the battery died, because I've not used it in months due to A) lockdown, B) I can't physically get into the car, and C) It's making a loud shreeking noise during winter when it's started cold, which goes away after it's warmed up (not brake related and could be 4WD or belt related?).

Anyway, I know this is pretty hilarious but I now physically can't take the car to the garage because:

• Both doors won't open.
  • Central locking not working (no lights flashing or unlocking when pressed) - might be the car battery now but I can't get in to pop the bonnet and jump start!
  • The key won't physically open the driver door.
  • The trick where you turn the key and hold for 5 seconds, no longer turns the window down (where I could potentially reach in and unlock).
  • I can't even open the boot to crawl in due to the central locking not working too.

It's so frustrating because I service the car every year, it has new brakes, tyres, etc. But I haven't used much due to lock-down and STILL facing £1,000's of garage bills. This isn't even half of the things which have went wrong in the past year - faulty oil sensor and alloys need refurbished and the back tyre loses pressure and needs pumped up on a weekly basis. So I've also got a flat tyre but need into the car to engage the electrical tyre pump!

Does anyone know any tricks (other than a brick through the window!) or advice on how to get the car started again so I can take to the garage?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

• 10 months later...

Sorry to hear that - these Audi models really don't like the cold! I've sold mine a few months ago.

I had to get a locksmith out to break into my car - I think it cost about £100/150. Then I had to keep the doors open while it was jump-started (the same locksmith also jump-started me). Once you're in the car, with the car door open, simultaneously pull the door handles (both inside and outside) at the same time - open and shut, open and shut, open and shut, etc. Try different variations. This worked for me and the door latch tension came back and I was able to open the car door again with the handle (once central locking was working of course).

Hope that helps - you should take the car to a garage and get it looked at. I tried to fix a lot of stuff at home and it all failed - eventually took it to the independent Audi garage.