Audi a3 sportback

Paul Curtis

I have dug my self a hole and should rely put down the shovel. Last year I bought an A3 sportback with sky roof and what was supposed to be a timing problem! The garage decided it was not the cam belt or timing chain as there was no oil pressure. I had bought a cam belt kit (Gates) and a new VW water pump ready. next step bought a second hand engine from a sirocco, this was delivered 11 December 2020. At same time bought new clutch kit ready. Comes today garage calls and ask me to visit. Advises not to progress due to state of suspension bushes and brakes/calipers. We agree to stop all work. Now I am looking for an A3  with a broken engine. Have I lost all sense of value?

Any suggestion please, I now have a 2.0fsi engine with 93k new clutch kit and cambelt kit. Also an A3  2.0fsi with sky roof, leather trim, plus more.

Paul.

Don't just put down the shovel, chop it up and bury the bits so that it can never be used again. Unfortunately I reckon it is time to cut your losses and sell whatever you can, for whatever price you can get, then start afresh with a properly inspected car. You are going to lose a fair bit of money, but the alternative could well cost a great deal more. If you had bought a new engine I might offer different advice, but you bought a secondhand engine of unknown condition that you want fit into an extremely secondhand car, either of which may throw up more surprises once it is running.

• Like 1