Mileage

PaulAFC84

Evening guys/girls,

I just wanted to ask you all for a bit of an opinion really,I’ve got an A6 Avant S-Line, 63 plate.Should I be concerned about the mileage nearing 90k? Obviously due to Covid I’ve been using the car a lot more to commute to work during the lockdowns etc. I still love the car immensely, like the amount of power and the extras it has, but I know people turn their noses up at vehicles with high mileage when selling.Just wanted to gauge your opinions if possible please?

Many Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, having wracked up 870,000 miles between three of my last cabs [Fords] I can honestly say that there are a lot of people out there that actually know what they are looking at, I actually got a good return on all three of my cars despite starship milage purly because I had replaced all the appropriate parts on them, clutch, timing belt, EGR valves and sensors at their due times and had the bills for those parts as I fitted most of them myself which took a lot of garage labour out of the equation, a sort of potted personal service history.

When I was researching the A6 as a cab I had looked at a few of them with 100,000 plus miles on them and nearly bought one of them but when I got there to view the car it was an automatic not a manual as advertised so I had to decline as where I live is lots of hills which tend to kill auto boxes in short order when the car is used as a cab, the main niggles for any potential buyer are switches that don't work, dash lights that stay on, and most of all tatty or badly worn trim/paint work.

Your car is still a baby in the world of informed diesel owners, my car is close to 90k and I have no intention of getting rid as I have another four years licence life and possibly another 200k to do before its decommissioning, and I will bet someone will still want it.

Regards Steve.

• Like 1

dont  worry   90k    now   3 of  my avants  nerly  300k  each  still sound

• Like 1

Thanks a lot gents.I find myself going from thinking that there’s at least another 100,000 miles in the car to wondering if I’m racking the mileage up.Most of the time the engine is hardly working, and the fuel consumption is pretty good for the engine size.But then I guess you buy cars like that to drive,not just to keep outside.The problem I had when looking for Avant’s was trying to find one that had everything I wanted that wasn’t hundreds of miles away from where I lived with low mileage

Hello Paul,

I think it’s clear that the message is to not worry about it, but just enjoy it. The depreciation due to mileage will be far less than the ‘cost to change’. 
As the others have indicated, maintenance is king, mileage isn’t. Just an additional pointer. Our local executive hire operator covers in excess of 70K miles per year in each of their cars, and guess what, queuing buyers are generally associated with the drivers - who know the cars have had a quiet life, with the mileage being covered at optimum operating conditions. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Thanks Gareth, sometimes it’s nice to have a bit of reassurance. It’s a fantastic car, and I enjoy driving it.It’s definitely the best car I’ve had so far.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, audia4b5kev said:

just  a shame   the  wings   dont last that  long    lol

Hi Mate, if the wings are the only problem you have with the bodywork you are having it large, I have recently seen a few Ford cabs that are not even five years old with metal maggot appearing in really weird places, but the make that takes first prize is a BMW X five  that takes suspension rot to a whole new level, still could be worse like my dads old Austin Westminster he bought with a years MOT the next MOT revealed that beneath the inch of underseal some clown had filled the chassis rail with concrete in places and then undersealed the life out of it, the car was only seven years old, he never lived that one down as all his mates named every car after that a blue circle special.

Steve.