Engine wobble and car shake issue

dirtyitch

2004 Audi A6 avant 3.0se quattro 6 speed manual.

Really need some help here:

Parked up in neutral, on idle, no warning lights.  Whole car is shaking,  rev it up and vibration gets worse as it rises and falls with revs and sound of engine.

Idles at usual rpms. Not irregular revving by itself.

Changed spark plugs thinking might be worn plugs.

Checked engine mounts,  done the tests to check how much engine travels incase off worn mount,  no noticeable movement as such.  With engine on idle have viewed all mounts,  and all are equally very slightly wobbling with whatever is causing this vibration.

Any help would be mich appreciated, cheers.

Hello Garth,

Many thanks for being in touch with the forum, and apologies for the delay in responding. 
Could you confirm that this is a manual, rather than an automatic before we move on? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth,  i spent another day today on the beast,  and ive managed to silence the engine out of the equasion.  The racket and vibration was so severe, i almost gave up.  Im a mere humble cant afford the car i drive but must,  so i repair my vehicles, myself out of nessesity.  Ive only owned this car for a matter of few months and its a new one to learn the ins n outs,  im quietly confident ive sussed it and have engine mounts on order at a stores place rather than online delivery.  I have pics and recorded evidence to post soon and hope it helps anyone,  parts come in tomorrow,  ill fit the day after and pray,  thanks for replying,  ill keep you posted.  Garth.

• Like 1

Ok, so ive done the engine mounts still no change!  Did the dmf/clutch test switching the car off with clutch peddle depressed and not depressed.  No noises what so ever coming from bell housing,  engine shuts down as normal in both instances,  nice and quick and clean as if it were 100% normal.  Still no codes but the engine is hunting for rpms,  not maf sensor hunting,  this engine ticks over below 1k rpms as we all know,  it must be mis firing terribly?!  is it possible for coil packs to fail but not throw a code?  cheers

Right I think ive got it now....the harmonic balencer thats part of the crankshaft pulley has gone bad hence causing all the vibrations through the car.  Some good info in this link explains all my issues.

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/08/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-crankshaft-harmonic-balancer/

Hope this might help some people,  i have a new crank pulley on order!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After alot of swearing and pain,  i now have the gearbox off,  and the duel mass flywheel is knackard.  Funds are tight but hopefully sorted in next few weeks

• 1 year later...