A Funny thing happened on my way to a job

Stevey Y

Hi Gents.

I went off on my first job of the day this morning and the one thing I really rate on my Audi is the automatic wing mirror glass self clearing, you don't have to muck about turning them on and off if the lenses mist up again, anyway I noticed a shuddering on the nearside mirror which I assumed may be where the wing mirror might have been knocked in our car park at home, got to the customer and went to have a quick look before we left, the mirror casing did not move but the glass was loose so I gently pushed the mirror against the mounting and it seemed to cure it.

Buzzing along a bit of dual carriageway when the customer pipes up that they think I have a problem with my nearside mirror, I definitely did the glass was flapping in the breeze below where it should have been on what looked like a sheet of plastic, I pulled over and removed the glass from the heating pad, apparently the glass is held on the pad by what is basically double sided tape what a rubbish idea.

Got home and had to think hard about how to reattach the glass ordinary double sided would only fail again I needed something that would grip like my missus to my credit card and still transfer heat, the solution was Loctite make your own gasket which when dry grips to anything and is heatproof and just about any chemical proof, warmed it with the heat gun to get it started and the warm day did the rest, most other mirror glasses I have changed have had the heating elements attached to the glass as well as , the mounting ring to the adjustment motor, BTW just the glass without the heating mount £30 from Audi.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi pull it off before it falls off and use what I did, my mirror heater works perfectly still and at around twenty pence for the instant gasket used represents a cheap and permanent repair.

Regards Steve.