Creaking suspension - though I've not fully investigated

ThomasG

Thought I'd throw this one out before I go to bed, and see what is caught in the morn.

Just now, I had to drive to the local town and back, and I noticed - out of the blue that there was a creaking coming from the rear. Not there when i go over bumps, but more when I go over rises in the roads - more of a smooth bump - lots of those in the countryside here.

Any ideas, or should I tidy the boot and see if it is there?

But what could I DIY check for?

Thanks in advance, as ever.

11 hours ago, ThomasG said:

Thought I'd throw this one out before I go to bed, and see what is caught in the morn.

Just now, I had to drive to the local town and back, and I noticed - out of the blue that there was a creaking coming from the rear. Not there when i go over bumps, but more when I go over rises in the roads - more of a smooth bump - lots of those in the countryside here.

Any ideas, or should I tidy the boot and see if it is there?

But what could I DIY check for?

Thanks in advance, as ever.

Hi Thomas, clearing the boot is a good shout to start with, if that won't work it has to be a bush I would try the rear roll bar bushes first give em a squirt of silicon spray and see if that cures it if not just work your way around every link i.e. top control arm bushes then lower until the noise stops then you will have the culprit as it was the last item you sprayed.

Steve.

Good plan. But I haven't had a repeat this morning. I'll get some silicon spray and watch youtube vids!! 

On another note. That howl has gone since the new tyres and alignment done!

Not saying that you have the same issue but my car started to creak, i raised and lowered it from allroad down to dynamic and it was creaking, then it dropped at the rear drivers side overnight, turned out to be a leaky air struts, i have the same car as you and what i have found out is that the rear air struts last between 7 - 10 years depending on mileage.

Keep us posted on how you get on