Bad Problems with on board computer

Davepitt2

Hi All

Anyone had any of these issues?

I have a new A3 - bought in Oct last year.

Since day one the computer has not functioned properly.   

- The SOS warning flashes up 20 minutes into every journey 

- Pre-sense slams on the brakes way to early and sometimes when nothing is in front of the car.

- Audi Tech say I need to clean the system of registered users - but the computer Doesn't allow users to be removed

The car has been back 5 times and none of these issues have been fixed.   I've had AUDI technical on the phone and remotely take over the computer - they just went round in circles were unable to remove the users and now send me emails suggesting the same thing over and over again which never works.

If this was a toaster, tv, watch, iphone, lanwn-mower I'd have been able to take it back and have it replaced with  a new one..... as it is i'm stuck with monthly payment on a new car that looks great...but doesn't work.

D

It might be worth you speaking to the finance company if you're not getting anywhere with Audi. Along the lines it's not fit for purpose especially as it's applying the brakes for no reason. My other advice would be to get it booked into for a longer period abd get a courtesy car. That way you have leverage as they'll want the courtesy car back, but if your cars not fixed then they won't get it back if you see what I mean. 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi I took delivery of a new A3 a fortnight ago and have used it daily since then.

I’ve had the SOS warning twice, and the pre-sense apply the brakes once for no reason, but on almost every journey, at least once, the MMI goes blank for 30 seconds or so and shows the message ‘please wait, updating user information’.

i haven’t gone back to the dealer yet, but having read your post I guess I’d better.

• Like 1

OK so I contacted the dealer today, and apparently the faulty SOS is a known issue and the MMI going blank is linked to it. The car is booked in later this month so fingers crossed . . .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PatrickW said:

OK so I contacted the dealer today, and apparently the faulty SOS is a known issue and the MMI going blank is linked to it. The car is booked in later this month so fingers crossed . . .

Fingers crossed it gets fixed without issue ☺️ please keep us posted. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 5:50 PM, Steve Q said:

It might be worth you speaking to the finance company if you're not getting anywhere with Audi. Along the lines it's not fit for purpose especially as it's applying the brakes for no reason. My other advice would be to get it booked into for a longer period abd get a courtesy car. That way you have leverage as they'll want the courtesy car back, but if your cars not fixed then they won't get it back if you see what I mean. 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve - will try with finance. 👍

i’ve already tried leaving it longer - WEST LONDON AUDI don’t offer courtesy cars right now due to COVID so the half dozen visits have been a real hassle too!

Cheers

d

2 hours ago, Davepitt2 said:

Thanks Steve - will try with finance. 👍

i’ve already tried leaving it longer - WEST LONDON AUDI don’t offer courtesy cars right now due to COVID so the half dozen visits have been a real hassle too!

Cheers

d

Well that's crap. Definitely speak to the finance company in that case. 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update, my A3 was booked in at the dealership (incidentally my dealer in Bromley is offering courtesy cars) for tomorrow, bu the dealer telephoned me today and cancelled the appointment. They advised that Audi are aware of the issue, which is software related,  and they are currently working on a software update which will be rolled out when it’s ready, and affected owners will be contacted in due course. So fingers still crossed.

As to whether they are still shipping them with this fault, I cannot say. I can tell you that I ordered mine in late February and was promised a July delivery, but in the event it arrived in April, so mawaudi444 yours might arrive sooner than you expect.

Cheers

Steve

Done this and await a response - I’ll update here.  Cheers, D

Seems that this problem is more widespread and has been affecting many models in the VW/Audi group range.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/may/01/vw-audi-and-skoda-owners-angry-over-fault-in-sos-warning-system

I wish I’d known about this because I would not have got an Audi if I’d known. Should have stayed with Honda I guess.

3 hours ago, PatrickW said:

Seems that this problem is more widespread and has been affecting many models in the VW/Audi group range.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/may/01/vw-audi-and-skoda-owners-angry-over-fault-in-sos-warning-system

I wish I’d known about this because I would not have got an Audi if I’d known. Should have stayed with Honda I guess.

Yea I saw that article the other day abd shared it here on the Audi news section. Sorry it's made you feel like that, even if I can appreciate why. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Steve

Hi SteveQ

Audi Fonance have agreed to take the car back and cancel the finance without penalty.  thanks fir the advice. 👍

Happy to speak to anyone else on here having issues to talk them through things.

D

58 minutes ago, Davepitt2 said:

Hi SteveQ

Audi Fonance have agreed to take the car back and cancel the finance without penalty.  thanks fir the advice. 👍

Happy to speak to anyone else on here having issues to talk them through things.

D

That's great to hear, glad it's getting resolved 🙂 are you looking to get another Audi? 

2 minutes ago, Davepitt2 said:

Cheers.  I would if I could afford going upscale a bit but probably heading towards a Golf. 

Given the amount of tech in the Golf, and the fact that they have suffered similar problems - if the Audi is not for you than the Golf might not be for you either!

• 2 months later...

Since my last post in May, the problems with my A3 became more frequent, with the MMI screen going blank every few minutes on some journeys, and in one case not coming on at all. Other problems included the  trip meter resetting to zero on random occasions, and switching radio stations at random - eventually it ‘forgot’ all my presets.  After delaying for seemingly as long as they could, VW/Audi finance finally agreed that I could reject the vehicle, and it was collected last Friday, and I now await a refund of my deposit. 
Bizarrely, the car was collected by British Car Auctions, and I see from the Audi app on my phone (which I haven’t deleted yet) that it is currently parked in their car park at Camberley, presumably awaiting auction. So (unless they declare the fault which I doubt), it is going to end up with some unsuspecting dealer or private buyer. 

Hello Patrick,

Many thanks for the very useful update. 

Pleased to hear there has been a sensible outcome to this unfortunate situation. Of course, the inconvenience remains an unpaid debt, but at least you can now move on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.