Soft top and boot playing up

Hi , I have a tdi Audi A4 cabriolet soft top sline 2006. It is my pride and joy 馃槉 however I have had so many problems with it dpf problems,聽have an eco map i am waiting to get a cam belt kit . But I pressure washed the roof last week , the next day the roof failed to go back down, got stuck I drove it for a bit and waited for a while and luckily it went back down. I tested it the other day and it was fine, then yesterday I tried it again and it got stuck about 2 inches going down. So I googled it got the tool out and locked it but the soft top warning light is on and the boot won鈥檛 open. There is a clicking on the passenger side don鈥檛 know it it鈥檚 connected . Any advice or quick fix . I鈥檝e spent so much money all ready! Been ripped off 聽paid 500 for a thermostat and Cam position sensor .many thanks Ann

Hey Ann I think there's an actuator to open the boot which can fail. Also its worth checking to see if there's anything trapped behind the rear seats or in the boot. We've seen cases on here where a shoe was stopping the roof going down.聽

Hi Steve, god I鈥檓 so stupid !! I鈥檝e got a massive cardboard box in the boot that will be preventing the flap from going up !!! Is the actuator the tool in with the fuses to lock the roof ? Thanks so much for this 馃槉

Worth seeing if the box is the cause. Don't worry it's not stupid at all, makes me think of all the stuff I normally carry around in the boot lol. If not the box then yes the actuator helps the boot open.聽

Hello Ann,聽

Sorry to hear of your issues. Pressure washers and cars simply don鈥檛 mix, and to my mind they should be avoided, due to the pressure they exert on potentially聽delicate paintwork, fabrics and particularly any piece聽of electronics.聽
I鈥檓 not sure why owners use them on cars and expect minimal damage, when the average householder has witnessed what the generated pressure can do for their patio!聽
I would say that if anyone contemplates using them on cars, they might like to consider using them as an alternative to a shower! Still.....

I cannot claim this is the cause of your issue, but hoods generally are operated via. a number聽of delicate micro switches, and it鈥檚 possible that moisture has infiltrated one聽or more of these. Just a reasonable possibility - you may find that things return to normal in a couple of weeks as things dry out.聽
Kind regards,

Gareth.聽

Hi Gareth, much appreciated. I took it through a car wash as well and the water got into the tail lights . Fingers crossed ! I鈥檝e also just realised I have a box in the back which could be blocking the soft top. Thanks for your advice much appreciated馃槉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshinesnoopy said:

Hi Gareth, much appreciated. I took it through a car wash as well and the water got into the tail lights . Fingers crossed ! I鈥檝e also just realised I have a box in the back which could be blocking the soft top. Thanks for your advice much appreciated馃槉

Water in the tail lights could caused by failing light seals. Ideally these should be replaced, but a cheap bodge (not that I recommend such things) is to add a bead of silicone to the seals.聽